In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FEG P9R and JHP

0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a P9R and looks like it doesn't want to feed Federal JHP properly. Went to load one in the chamber and the slide locked as if the mag was empty. Pull back on the slide and it will chamber the round but seems like a FTF waiting to happen. Any recommendations on self defense ammo for these pistols? Not a whole lot of info out there about these guns.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 ways to approach the issue. Tune the magazines and or the pistol to the round; find or reload ammo that works in the pistol.

Lots of autoloading pistols have issues with HP's because they act like a flat nose and have a place to snag on the barrel.

A new pistol can have lots of burrs. Take it apart and clean it. Stone the working surfaces lightly. Lube it properly and put it back together. Take the magazine apart, clean, de-burr, lube...

Appears to be a modified HiPower design. The only one I ever considered owning was the slotted and tangent version with a stock.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at Remington Hollow Point ammo. Some of their ammo has longer ogives so less sharp edges and in my experience feed better in guns not intended to use HP ammo.Good luck, Ricci.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fegyver has been out of business for more than 10 years now. Be happy, that it works reliably with FMJ ammo. As it was developed and manufactured in Europe. FMJ was probably the ammo, it was specifically developed and manufactured for.

For personal protection ammo. In hardball specific guns, I've had good luck with Remington Golden Sabre. There is much more of a radius over the hollow point, that helps feeding. In guns made for hardball ammo.

There is a number of other personal protection ammo on the market now. That are made for reliable use in hardball guns. If Federal doesn't work, use something else.
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea the pistol was designed for FMJ, the FED JHP catches on the feed ramp. I will try the Remington but might just be better off sticking to the ball ammo.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - I changed out the Kalifornicata correct magazine with one of my extra Browning High Power magazines and as rufe-snow has suggested - I use Gold Saber ammunition. It now runs without any mis-feeds. Best Regards = AQH
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a lot of those type pistols that were made on the cheap, the feed ramps are pretty rough, because they were made for ball ammo. If you polish the feed ramp to get all of the machine marks out, it will help...but you have to do it minimally...take off the very minimum to make it work.

I hate to say it, but I have had t do this to a couple of Glocks Gen 3's recently, because it seems like attention is being more paid to production, rather then reliability. Glocks normally digest ANYTHING, and do not even burp.