In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glassing an injection molded stock

bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have tried using epoxy and polyester type resins to glass actions into injection molded stocks and they won't bond to them very well. On another forum question someone suggested using Devconr Plastic WelderT, 22045, to bond some plastic parts together, does anyone know if this Devcon product will make a good bond with the material injection molded stocks are made of and could it be used as a primer for a conventional bedding material such as accraglass etc?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Injection molded out of what? Polypropylene is tough to glue.

On my 20 year old Reliance 7 gallon water jugs this stuff sticks. I have also used it on my carbon and glass fiber socket for my leg.

I think it would do fine as a bedding material all by itself. I would fit/imbed a piece of steel in the recoil lug zone.

http://www.jbweld.com/products/plastic-bonder-syringe

added there you go, test the grip of the glue. While you are at it make sure your release agent works with it too.
  • Options
    bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I don't know for sure what the material the stock is made from I'll just have to buy one of these products and see how it works.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bundy,

Actually it takes a technique called mechanical bonding along with a thoroughly clean surface.

In the areas where you want the bedding to stick, use a Dremel tool and a ball shaped mounted point or grinding point. Plunge it into that area then put a small bevel on the lip of each hole. Make several small holes in an area like that which is behind the recoil lug. Don't leave any burrs which means you can lightly sand that area also.

Clean the sanding residue out completely then clean with acetone.

Mix the bedding compound then fill the areas. Use a toothpick to push the compound down into all the holes. Now, making sure that the action, barrel and screws are coated with release agent or neutral shoe polish, secure the barreled action into the stock.

Wait the prescribed period of time then unmold the barreled action.

Best.