In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hollow point

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
are hollow points as reliable as fmj in a lcp380 and glock 19?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They could be, but you need to test the specific ammo in the specific pistol. Sometimes the pistol needs some work to function a 100%, feed ramp, magazine lips usually will do it.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by range
    are hollow points as reliable as fmj in a lcp380 and glock 19?

I can tell you that hollowpoints are NOT reliable in the KelTec 3AT, of which the Ruger is a reasonable copy. At least the Rem Golden Sabers I tried weren't.

Glock tends to feed them fine.

Bottom line is, you need to test any given ammo in YOUR gun and see if it runs OK before you trust your life to it.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    They could be, but you need to test the specific ammo in the specific pistol. Sometimes the pistol needs some work to function a 100%, feed ramp, magazine lips usually will do it.

+1, Type of H-P's, have a very decided impact on functioning. YMMV, My best luck has been with Remington Golden Sabres. They have a brass jacket, with a noticeable radius leading up to the Hollow Point.

The problem with .380's, is their muzzle velocity is less than 1000 FPS. Due to the many marginal pistols, that are chambered for it.

U Tube has a bunch of videos, showing .380 HP's expansion in Jello. This might help in your quest, for a HP that functions in your pistol. And still will expand, at less than 1000 FPS.

EDIT # 1, Glock 19 is a different kettle of fish. Compared to any .380. You got 9mm HP loads for it, up to 1300 FPS or higher. Depending on bullet weight. Long as your 9mm HP, doesn't have a blunt flat nose without any radius. You would probably would be good to go, with a HP.
  • rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger LCP. It feeds Critical Defense JHP rounds just fine.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes :

Always check / test any & all ammo before carry .....

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too own the lcp ( and lc9, and (Gen 3) G19, (Gen-1) G17 and (Gen-4) G34 for what little thats worth)
    The lcp I own shoots both the Win Sxt and Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoints as reliably as 95 gr ball ammo. This is my gun, and it is broken in nicely. (Lc9 is the same, good with these brands in their standard pressure loads)

Yours may or may not shoot as reliably depending on its wear level and maintenance. I suggest buying 80-100 rounds of hp ammo you want to use (I know, its expensive!) and makie sure your pistol functions with the particular load you prefer 100% of the time before you trust it.

The Glocks should be just fine to shoot pretty much anything in 9mm, 9+p or 9 +p+ you choose to use. Ive fired thousands of standard pressue and +p fmj or jhp ammo, and hundreds of Win sxt127 +p+ Through both guns, and reliability has been excellent with all of them.

Good luck, and stay safe!