In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm ammo

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited October 2016 in Ask the Experts
i recently purchased a S & W Sigma series SW9VE. i am not very familiar with handguns, and would appreciate any info on what is the best 9mm ammo maker and what is the best load to use for basic shooting. anyone out there able to share some knowledge?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    It appears that in today's climate that if I want to pick up some 9mm plinking ammo that I'm going to have no alternative other than some import brands I'm not particulary familiar with. Anyone have experience with Wolf, Silver Bear, or S&B and which is the preferable brand since they all seem to be priced reasonably close?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a baby eagle full size 9mm I have problems with the cheap Winchester ammo, basically extracting the spent casing and then jamming. Don't notice a problem with other brands. I just want to make sure it is not the gun. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

"IF THE AMERICAN FIREARMS INDUSTRY IS SUED INTO BANKRUPTCY, WHO WILL SUPPLY OUR SOLDIERS."- NRA VICTORY FUND
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Best economical ammo for practice?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    has anybody used any of the austrailian 9mm+p+ ammo L7R1?? when I bought some they said it has a 1400 fpc and get this 1400 lbs knock down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anyone help me identifi a box of ammo I aquired .It is a thin cardboard box with 5 silver collored strippers each containing 8 rounds of what appears to be 9mm parabelum ammo the marking almost look japanese or possibly polish czech I am unsure.I thought maybe it could be ammo for a 1912 steyr at any rate if someone knows what these are I would appreciate the info. gundoc2000@yahoo.com

thanks Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Saw some 9mm ammo listed as "RN".Not familar with that.I'm one of yall will know.Thanks in advance,John
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be the ammo found ON SALE
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Independence 9 mm aluminum cased .can be found online at .20 cents a round or less plus shipping.
    Plenty accurate for practice, made buy the ATK group which includes CCI.,Federal, Speer,
    So it's good cheap ammo.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I generally encourage people to only shoot one load in their firearms after they find what it likes. I load for everything except the rim fires.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About anybody's brass cased ball ammo will work, you can buy on price.

A friend is shooting the aluminum cased ammo with no problems in her Glock 34. I have seen it under CCI Blazer, Federal Aluminum, and now Independence Aluminum. All ATK labels, surely the same stuff.

Some do ok with the East bloc steel cased ammo, some don't. If you want to try it, don't buy a truckload to start with.

I know people shooting commercial reload "remanufactured" ammo. They seem to do ok but I have READ complaints about several brands. As with steel, test on a small batch.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know where you're located? But this west coast outfit, sells in bulk quantities at most all our local shows. They have been in business for years. And come to the larger shows, with a 18 wheeler loaded with ammo.

http://www.miwallcorp.com/

Being legal liability is such a nightmare for ammo manufacturers and sellers. They are really fussy about what they sell. There bulk stuff might have mixed headstamps, but it will be as safe as the larger manufacturers ammo.

It's possible, to mail or puter order from their web site. I've done it before. But the shipping charges are usually so high. That it's not economical, unless you can't obtain it locally.