In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

to you collectors...

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
How much value does a Remington made 1903 have with a replaced barrel. Caveat: The rifle is in "like issued" condition and all serial numbers match. Except the barrel was replaced with a 1903A3 (1943) Remington barrel....but by a man known locally for restoring these. Meaning, it's not an arsenal barrel replacement.

It's a really nice rifle, and fine example of a 1903A3, but somewhat spendy. I'm hedging on how bad I need a 1903A3 and the value it won't hold with the non arsenal barrel replacement.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a shooter, I would only pay that much. I have had one Springfield that shot really good. It was punched out to 300 Gibbs (still have ammo around somewhere I made for it).
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Charlie; it's just a shooter.

I would think $250-300.

Neal

EDIT1: What we have here is a failure to communicate. Hawk is correct. In September 1941 Remington began production of the Remington 1903 rifle, using worn equipment from Rock Island Arsenal; the receiver was stamped "Remington Model 1903" & a ladder sight was installed above the breech end of the barrel. To speed production & reduce cost, changes were approved by the War Dept; by end of production in January 1944, the rifle had morphed into the "Remington Model 1903A3", with a peep sight installed on the rear receiver ring. Without Sandwarrior posting photos, we can only guess at what the rifle in question really is. But, if a seller tells me that his rifle is a mutilated mixed parts mongrel, I take him at his word.

EDIT2: The "matching serial numbers" is troubling. The only place that Remington stamped the SN was on the receiver. Some USMC armorers etched the SN on the bolt with an engraving pencil. Anywhere else.....who knows?

m1903A3bolt.jpg
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not clear.
    If it is a 1903 with a 1903A3 barrel, where is the rear sight?

If it is a 1903A3 with a replacement 1903A3 barrel, how would somebody know it was done by a gunsmith and not an Army arsenal?
    Value would be lower than with the original barrel, but I think well over $200.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Not clear.
    If it is a 1903 with a 1903A3 barrel, where is the rear sight?

If it is a 1903A3 with a replacement 1903A3 barrel, how would somebody know it was done by a gunsmith and not an Army arsenal?
    Value would be lower than with the original barrel, but I think well over $200.

Sorry I wasn't clear, Hawk,

It is a 1903A3. The barrel was replaced with a 1903A3. The rifle looks mint and all serial numbers match and are 1903A3 production numbers.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got me kind of confused? If it looks arsenal, other than that you know factually? The the original 1903A3 barrel, was replaced with another 1903A3 barrel. By a guy who knew what he was doing. And there is no indication, that it has been rebarreled. I would value it same as a original 1903A3.

Dollars to doughnuts, if you pass on it. It will show up at a show, or on one of the auctions, as a original Rem. 1903A3. And would be sold a such. With the new owner, being none the wiser.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over 300, [8)]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    EDIT2: The "matching serial numbers" is troubling. The only place that Remington stamped the SN was on the receiver. Some USMC armorers etched the SN on the bolt with an engraving pencil. Anywhere else.....who knows?

Yeah, I always get worried when somebody starts talking about "matching numbers" on American guns.
    Older Smith & Wessons, Colt for about 5 years, and various match weapons. Very few others have serial numbers on multiple parts like Lugers and such.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it a bit strange, but not being a 1903 guy vs. a Mauser where you do see serial numbers on the various parts. It's either the last digit or the last two on the various action parts. They are stamped. No electro-pencil serial number on the bolt (that I saw), like it should be. May be I ought to look again.
    Unfortunately, the point may be moot. New expenses came up and I owe a couple thousand this month.[xx(] So, if it's there still in a month it may be an option. At least it gives me more time to evaluate and educate myself.[8D]