In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt 1911 22 conversion kits

timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
was at the range today shooting my 1911 when i ran out of ammo, yea alomsot broke my heart. but i went to put my colt 22 conversion on it then silly me got some of the parts mixed up, so i packed it all took it home and sorted things out, my question what would happen if i fired it with the 45 spring or plunger, slide stop, or any other part that would fit
just courious

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It probably would not cycle with the .45 recoil spring in it since that spring is designed to handle much more recoil force.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, it probably would work fine with the centerfire recoil spring, unless the spring is an extra heavy one. The "floating chamber" is designed to increase recoil forece against the slide, and is very effective at doing so.

Visually, I cannot tell any difference in the slide stops, and centerfire slide stops generally seem to work fine with most Conversion Unit magazines. The dimensions of the rimfire and centerfire slide stops are different in the amount of protrusion into the magazine well, since the centerfire follower is wider than the rimfire follower so it can engage a slide stop with less protrusion.

The worst that could happen with the centerfire spring in the Conversion Unit is that the slide would not travel far enough to eject and pick up rounds reliably.

The worst that could happen using the centerfire slide stop instead of the rimfire slide stop is that the follower in the rimfire magazine might not engage the slide stop reliably so as to lock the slide open on an empty magazine.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Slide stop pin may jam trying to put 45ACP mag in with 22 S.S.Pin ot Slide MAY NOT lock back after last shot with45ACP in in frame and 22 conversion in place. You really dont want to use 22 spring with 45slide & barrel for any extended length of time. o
  • Options
    timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the slide stops are numbered, 1 for 45 and 2 for 22lr but i think your right on the spring tension the other parts i see no difference