In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62 Nato M-60 rounds in M-14 or FAL?

hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a linked belt of 100 7.62x51 Nato rounds with every fifth round a tracer. Belt was designed for M-60 LMG.

Are these loads, tracers included, suitable for use in other weapons chambered in 7.62x51 NATO, say an M-14, SOCOM or FAL type rifle?

Comments

• DABUGDABUG Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    It's precisely what they're designed to eat.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    That ammo will function perfectly and will not damage your rifles in any way.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not shoot the tracers in my match rifle.

Tracers can and do start fires downrange. Be careful.

Shot many 1000's of rounds in a BDL Rem that were chunks of belts spit out of mini guns. Longest section found was almost 9 feet.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only time that you should fire tracer ammo is in the rain. Any other time, you are begging for a felony arson arrest.

Most folks would just delink the ammo, sell the tracer on GB, & shoot the ball.

Neal
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were only a couple of rounds for the M60 that should not be shot in the M14- and you are not likely to run across any of them.

There was an experimental SLAP round in 7.62 NATO (Saboted Light Armor Piercing). Looked a bit like the Accelerator round. Withdrawn from testing- rumor was in a REALLY hot barrel, plastic sabot tended to begin melting on the trip down the bore, with some turning, and leaving the barrel thru the side of the barrel. Bad ju-ju.

The Duplex load- two bullets in one cartridge case- one behind the other (effectively doubling rate of fire of an MG) Higher chamber pressures.

The BLANK cartridge for the M60 was a different load than the blank for the M14. Had a significantly hotter powder charge. If fired in an M14 with a BFA, could damage rifle.

And I really STRONGLY agree with the fire cautions on tracer. Burns out at a bit over 900 meters, have started more range fires than I can count. Unlike the military, YOU are financially liable for cost of putting out a forest fire. Have you SEEN the hourly rental tab for a water tanker aircraft? [:0]
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your help. I was worried that the linked belt rounds might be loaded too hot for lighter weapons.
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 60: let me know if you sell the links.
    BTW; don't link more than 10 at a time!!!!!; you know, that high capacity thing!!!!
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r

I know of only one 7.62mm Blank, the M82. For use in all 7.62mm weapons. What is the other?

quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    . . .The Duplex load- two bullets in one cartridge case- one behind the other (effectively doubling rate of fire of an MG) Higher chamber pressures. . .

The Duplex Ball cartridge could be fired in an M60 but it was designed for use in the M14, in theory to increase the the firepower of the individual rifleman and double the chance of a first-round hit. It was adopted as a standard, the M198, but was short lived. It proved to be a big disapointment because the dispersion was not as great as was expected and the pattern was almost predictable, rather than random. Maximum chamber pressure was 52,000 psi, the same as all other 7.62MM cartridges.

Later, the M198 was converted to a low-recoil cartridge by removing the second bullet. This too was a failure and it never went beyong the experimental stage.

Ne thread started in case anyone is interested.

Ray