In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

National Match Rebuild

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Just curious about this auction.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326442019

It seems to me that the slide/sights are incorrect. In addition the front strap seems to be missing the machined checkering.

I've seen examples w/ stippling instead of checkering, which begs the question - could the frames be had w/ a smooth front strap?

Don't the indented 'T' and 'P' indicate the frame is soft?

How about it Perry - any input?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This weapon, is an arsenal rebuild, and most likely was done by an armed services armorer. This is not one spoecific gun from one company, but it is a parts gun, done from a box of WW-II correct parts. Front strap checkering, or stippling was basically unheard of, untill the late 70's.

I am sure Perry Shooter, will be along to voice his opinion too.

Best
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Any checkering or stippling was done by the gunsmith that did the build. Those sights are aftermarket. It is a RR that a 'smith did [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IceracerX Email sent . I think Locust Fox is one of the most up front sellers on G.B. . There are many things that go into the National Match pistols Built for the military shooting teams and for civilian loan and sales at Camp Perry . This build program started for the most part in 1954 and ended in 1968 However building match grade pistols continue today. by Military marksmanship units The pistol in this auction is most likely built during the early stages when they would take RACK GUNS and use the best parts To fit up a Tight fitted pistol . There is a Great book at a bargain price by BILL JENKINS U.S.Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols . It breaks down all the changes year by year. I wish I had met Mr Jenkins BEFORE he wrote his book might have gotten some of my pistols pictured [:p]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think what we are seeing here is a legitimate but altered military match from 1955-1958 when they used the 7267717 barrel, numbered to the gun.
    The SA shows the work was done at Springfield, the T is for "targeted". The P is for Proof tested.
    They didn't start checkering the front strap until 1959 after a couple of years of cementing ping pong paddle rubber to the gun.

The gun originally had fixed sights and has been fitted with adjustable sights after sale at Camp Perry or by the DCM.
    The rear sight came off a High Standard .22 and I think the front did, too. Maybe the shooter was getting his guns outfitted with the same sights for easy recollection of adjustments.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies. I have the Jenkins book. I have to go back and read about the earlier examples (should have done that first!).

Here's the 1966 NM that I own, just to show I'm not a tyro.[:D]
    I was lucky enough to accompany my dad when he bought his NM @ Camp Perry in 1966. Those sure were the 'good old days'.

Note the 'double dot' hardness marks which would indicate that this was a 1965 version that didn't sell and was rebuilt again and sold in '66.

pix652628689_zpsb4bb32ac.jpg