In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

32 ammo ?

dnnsalesdnnsales Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Recently acquired a taurus 327 fed mag.
i have a whole bag of 32 COLT NP REM-UMC Stamped ammo
(from my grandfathers days).
Are these the S&W Long? I want to be safe not sorry!!

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they would work but more likely worth more to a collector that the cost of new loaded ammo. Will be a very weak loading, be careful of squibs if shooting double action.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you have the .32 Colt New Police (NP). Cartridges of the World says that is the same cartridge as the .32 Smith & Wesson Long, but with a flat nosed bullet. .32 S&W Long: case diameter .335, case length 0.93.
    The Lyman Reloading Handbook, ed. 47, also shows the .32 S&W Long and the .32 Colt New Police (NP) as being the same cartridge.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware there was 32 Colt Short Centerfire and 32 Colt Long Centerfire
    Both of these cartridges have a smaller diameter case then THE 32S&W . if you use either COLT cartridge You could split the case [V]. The colt rounds work in a great little Marlin lever action that came with 2 firing pins one for the Colt Cartridges and the other for 32 Short Rimfire and 22Long Rimfire.The colt cartridges would fit the magazine tube cutout the S&W cartridges would not "TOO FAT". When all 4 choices of ammo became hard to find I sold my little Jewel.[:(]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    'back in the day', Colt would not put 'S&W" on their revolvers so they came up with "Colt New Police" it is the same as .32 S&W functionaly. certainly different than .32 Colt.
  • dnnsalesdnnsales Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, i think i will try a couple out.......