In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62mm Blanks and Duplex

CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I was the magic post #10 which locked down the thread on the linked ammo. I didn't want to shut out anyone from responding so I started a new one. Here is what I said:

11b6r

I know of only one 7.62mm Blank, the M82. For use in all 7.62mm weapons. What is the other?

Originally posted by 11b6r

. . .The Duplex load- two bullets in one cartridge case- one behind the other (effectively doubling rate of fire of an MG) Higher chamber pressures. . .

The Duplex Ball cartridge could be fired in an M60 but it was designed for use in the M14, in theory to increase the the firepower of the individual rifleman and double the chance of a first-round hit. It was adopted as a standard, the M198, but was short lived. It proved to be a big disapointment because the dispersion was not as great as was expected and the pattern was almost predictable, rather than random. Maximum chamber pressure was 52,000 psi, the same as all other 7.62MM cartridges.

Later, the M198 was converted to a low-recoil cartridge by removing the second bullet. This too was a failure and it never went beyong the experimental stage.

Ray

Comments