In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help identifying old shotgun

Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have both Joseph Vorisek's and my own book. I have listings for several old single barrels with some form of the name PRICE including just plain PRICE, PRICE MACHINE GUN, (does that one need an explanation ?), JOHN W. PRICE or J.W. PRICE and THEO N. PRICE. Gun with these names were made by either Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1930+), Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls, Ma (1874 to date) and W. H. Davenport Arms Company also of Norwich,CT (1878 to 1910). Guns with some form of the name PRICE wer made fo and sold by on seller, the Belknap Hardware Company of Louisville,Ky awholesale sporting goods dealer.I'm sorry but the second set of photographs are not good enough to read the name stamped on the gun, the gun is rusty and the name is worn and I can't make out the first marking. Also the complete serial number is not shown. Also the wording is shown running vertically which makes for for poor reading. You have the gun in hand, please just read the name and number and simply post them. My neck is hurting from twisting trying to read the marking.
I can tell you that this gun was not made by Stevens. Stevens butt stocks have a distinguishing feature. They have two semi-circular projections of wood that fit into corresponding cutouts in the frame. Crescent butt stocks are straight. Also the serial number is stamped where Crescent Fire Arms stamped their serial numbers on the lower tang just behind the trigger guard. Waiting for your reply.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ned's post is referencing this topic, that has been closed.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=587740
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Yes, that's what I am referring to and thanks to all who have made an input although I can't or don't agree with some of your guesses. The first letter appears to be a stylized "C" although I can't quite make it out and the serial number doesn't agree. It could be either 8044 or 80414. Based on this information, the gun was made in either 1897 or 1900. Only the owner can clarify the information. Joseph T. Vorisek and I were cyber space friends exchanging information up until his passing. He gave me a copy of his book "Shotguns Markings, A List 1865 to 1940" and I gave him a copy of my book "Trade Brand Names, Who Made Them And Who Sold Them". Both Joe and I have made mistakes in our books, I correct mine when I find them and I have found a couple Joe made. This gun was obviously made by Crescent Fire Arms Company. The shape of the butt stock of a Crescent made gun where it joins the receiver is straight across while the butt stock of a Stevens made gun has two (one on each side) semicircular projections that fit into corresponding cutouts in the frame/receiver plus the serial number is located where Crescent stamped them, on the lower tang just behind the trigger guard.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ned, I copied his best photo, turned it to horizontal position and sharpened it with Photo Editor, and it positively reads:

Jno.W.Price,

stanped or engraved like a written signature. (Jno. is or was a common abbreviation of John)
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOOGLEing, "Belknap Hardware Company", bring up their history. Although they were in business prior to the Civil War. They incorporated in Kentucky in 1880, with a new name. John Price was one of the new companies officers. He was one of the original board of directors members. Perhaps this is the origin of the Trade Name found on the shotguns? Like the JC Higgins name that Sears used on a lot of their products.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Thank all of you for your input , information and corrections. I have listings for over 950 "Trade Brand Name" that were used on shotguns made between 1880 and 1940. Although I have one for JOHN W. PRICE and another for J. W. PRICE, I didn't have one for JNO W. PRICE. By my way of thinking, if a name is spelled differently, it's another name. Example : BLUEGRASS (One word and BLUE GRASS (two words). This name JNO W. PRICE is now among my listings. And the gun was made by Crescent Fire Arms Company.