In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is Winchester going to make a new 3000fps 17 RF?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Is Winchester going to make a new 17 rimfire that can drive a 20 gr bullet at 3000 fps?

Comments

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep and Savage is making the rifle!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    any information by official web site of Winchester or Savage. Hard to believe you could safely generate enough chamber pressure to get a projectile up to 3000FPS and case be thin enough to crush with firing pin to activate the priming compound.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry shooter makes a very good point. I fired a regular 22mag and where the firing pin hit the rim blew out. Burned a nasty spot on the bolt face and extractor.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage Arms
    http://www.savagearms.com/

This is a groundbreaking new rifle from Savage made for the new .17 Super Magnum **RIMFIRE**. You may not have heard of this cartridge yet, but it shoots a 20 grain bullet at about 3,000 feet per second, at .17 caliber of course. This means fairly flat shooting at devastating velocities out to 300 yards and beyond. What makes this particular gun special is that it is from Savage, the leader in out of the box accuracy in bolt guns. They have incorporated several centerfire bolt gun features into this rimfire rifle, at a rimfire price of $349. As ammunition gets more and more expensive, that you can go shoot prairie dogs, crows or even tin cans all day at 300 yards on the cheap may make this the biggest story of SHOT Show 2013. Bill is correct here in the video when he says that Savage won't be able to make enough of these guns. If you are a new gun owner and you bought a pistol or an AR first, this would be your ideal second gun that you will never outgrow and that you will still enjoy shooting in 30 years, with your grandchildren. Another great rifle idea from Savage. Get yourself on the list with your local dealer, because supply may not catch up with the demand in 2013.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, now everybody will be thinking they can shoot 500 yds. with them.

I'm not a real fan of any .17's. At the end of the day of varmint shooting all I hear is excuses and lot of coulda/shoulda/woulda's.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Yup...Heard about this more than a month ago, even saw a couple of videos on t he Savage website (IIRC)...sounds like a helluva lil round....IF you don't insist on calibers you cn reload yourself!
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Is Winchester going to make a new 17 rimfire that can drive a 20 gr bullet at 3000 fps?

They have and it looks like a winner. Clearly offers more than the 17 HMR by doing 3,000 fps.
    http://www.*/2013/01/03/the-new-17-winchester-super-magnum/

What I'd like to know (your title caused me to remember) is will CZ make a 5mm Remington Magnum barrel for their detach barrel CZ 455?

I'm definitely buying the 17 WSM, seems like a good break from shooting centerfire when I don't feel like reloading.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Responding to above, the .17 Winchester super-magnum is actually based on a NAILGUN blank rimfire cartridge. The brass on these things is thick and they've been around forever with zillions sold/fired. So I don't see problems with case rim punctures or blowouts.

There are three problems with this round.

Main thing is that all the .17 caliber rounds are highly wind sensitive. If you have a gusting crosswind there goes your 200 yard accuracy. In that respect, this should still be better than a .17HMR, which I guess is the main point.

Second is that low cross sectional area makes these lose velocity fast. So even though on paper a 3000fps round "should" reach out to 400 yards, the reality is that this one probably won't.

Last thing is that tiny bullets pack little punch. No matter how fast its going, you've still only got something that punches a .17 hole and weighs 20 grains. This is just never going to replace a 55 grain .223, let alone a .22/250.

Basically, my take on this is that its a rimfire that can take you out to 200 yards, that should be a little better than the .17 HMR. If you look at it like that, this is probably a good round.

You can read more here:
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/01/worlds-fastest-rimfire
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    The more I read, the more I hug my .22-250, 3300fps, with love[8D][:)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    any information by official web site of Winchester or Savage. Hard to believe you could safely generate enough chamber pressure to get a projectile up to 3000FPS and case be thin enough to crush with firing pin to activate the priming compound.

Yeah, just go to the Winchester website, and they have a big ad for this on the front of their rimfire page:

http://www.winchester.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Plus a video, (with the deep voiced ad pitch guy right out of central casting, plus a nice coyote "ouch" shot):

http://www.winchester.com/Pages/new-winchester-rimfire-caliber.aspx

Anyway, its just a teenie-weenie 20 grain projectile going that fast. So you need less than half the "push" of, say a .223 that puts out a 55 grain bullet at 3200 fps.

One thing here, on paper this round puts out 400 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, which is pretty impressive. But its a bit of a mathematical trick. . .because the formula for kinetic energy reflects the SQUARE of velocity, light fast projectiles carry more energy than slower heavy ones.

That doesn't mean they perform better, because light projectiles also LOSE their energy pretty quickly in flight and they also tend to offer poor penetration.

Again, this looks like a decent enough cartridge for shooting small things out to 200 yards, so long as you accept its intrinsic limitations.

quote:The more I read, the more I hug my .22-250, 3300fps, with love
    I can see why, but its not a fair comparison, really.

Obviously, a .22/250 is going to outperform this rimfire hands down. Ditto for even .223s with light bullets. EG a 40 grain Vmax .223 will get about 3800 feet per second, which completely blows away these rimfires in every way (energy/power, drop, wind resistance, etc). With the right barrel, its even possible to load 30 grain .223s if you want to go "out there".

But on the other hand, your .22/250 costs about $1.25 per round if you (gasp!) buy it in the store. This magnum rimfire ammo is going to retail for $15 a box of 50, or $0.30 a round. Can you even reload .22/250 for 30 cents a round at current ammo prices? I doubt it.

If you're not reloading, or even if you are, this looks like a nice offering for cheap shooting out to 200 yards.