In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SBR SERIAL NUMBERED LOWER..STRIPPED

LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Need some expert advice on a AR LOWER..Do I need a tax stamp for this lower?.that is a SBR serial numbered lower.can I build a pistol from it?..its is a multi caliber marked lower also,.can I build a regular 16" bar..rifle with it?..thanks..for the help...Loko

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will never be able to use that receiver to build a pistol. Once it has been used to build a rifle, it can only be used as a rifle receiver. And, you can't say "It's never been a rifle", because the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits will have someone's signature on a piece of paper saying that it was.

ATF can be notified that it is no longer an SBR, & you can build a regular rifle from it.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Neal,.right now it hasn't been used or transferred to me..I read from a forum on Spikes Lowers that SBR stands for Spikes Battle rifle?..but as long as I use it to build a legal 16+ in bar rifle Im fine?.it is brand new..stripped lower.How should the paper work be filled out?..as a rifle/long gun ???....thanks..Loko

http://spikestactical.com/new/z/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=996
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOKO,

Good to see you!

I would make real sure what that SBR really meant, and see if it was once a registered short barreled rifle configuration. If it was, you might want to get a tax stamp, to keep it legal, or pass up the headache of wondering, all together.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tim,..I have found out it doesnt need to be registered as an NFA ..Good to hear from you my friend..email me sometime..life is good here..for once..lol..Loko.. [:D]

Thanks Neal and Tim for the help!..
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LOKO383
    Need some expert advice on a AR LOWER..Do I need a tax stamp for this lower?.that is a SBR serial numbered lower.can I build a pistol from it?..its is a multi caliber marked lower also,.can I build a regular 16" bar..rifle with it?..thanks..for the help...Loko

Free advice from all us non-lawyers - what could go wrong? [;)]

I think the "R" part is just as much an issue as the "SB" part.

A firearm that started life as a rifle can not be reassembled as a legally configured handgun. Unlike a handgun or frame that started life "4473'd" as receiver only, which can go from handgun to legally configured rifle and back to legally configured handgun.

I don't know if "once an SB or NFA = always" applies, but based on it starting life as a rifle I'd say no.