In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Sword and Bayonet Help (Pictures)

beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Could someone please direct me where to find information on these items I bought at a yard sale. The sword is 36 inches long overall. As you can see it has USN cast in the handguard. Would anyone know the age and possible value? The long bayonet is marked 1917 with Remington in a circle and the flaming bomb and US and some other mark. I believe this was made for the Eddiestone Rifle. What is a fair value for this bayonet? The other, smaller bayonet is marked U.S. M8A1 V.P. CO. Does anyone know this era bayonet and possible value? I would be grateful for any help, especially any info on the sword.

9QlL19vl.jpg
SlSvIQ8l.jpg
8h82Rvyl.jpg
sMpM0F3l.jpg
EPb1KSll.jpg
gNkXP9Pl.jpg
ErPoAl5l.jpg
ZLjZYxJl.jpg
qHcyjZwl.jpg
6AiM2Khl.jpg
WFSVb36l.jpg
7ySB3DXl.jpg
2v5b4Gwl.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The long bayonet is for the US Model 1917, commonly called the Enfield and yes, some of them were made in the Eddystone plant. The short bayonet is for the M1 carbine, yours, I believe is post-war. Don't know about the sword. I'd say you made a great yard sale buy!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Your sword appears to be a US Model 1852 naval officer's sword with shark skin grips. Are there any maker's markings on the blade near the hilt? It looks like an Ames but may be another maker.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Another great yardsale find! Lucky you!! The 1917 bayo and sheath looks to be in good shape and is probably worth $150+- or so. The carbine bayonet looks bent (maybe its my old eyes) so without holding it in my hand would say $100+- or so. Not into swords so can't tell you about that...would be interested as I have one also...but not so lucky to find it at a yard sale....got it at an auction. "Luck favors the prepared mind"[;)]
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Your sword appears to be a US Model 1852 naval officer's sword with shark skin grips. Are there any maker's markings on the blade near the hilt? It looks like an Ames but may be another maker.

+1
  • Options
    beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the help, I cannot find any markings on the sword. Can anyone ballpark on the value of the sword? Thank you
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beltfed
    Thank you for the help, I cannot find any markings on the sword. Can anyone ballpark on the value of the sword? Thank you

The blade would have originally been lightly etched but has obviously worn off. With no maker's stamps, dates or etching, I would guess in the $250-$300 range.