In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

odd ball 10 gauge.

jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a English 10 gauge with damascus barrels. It is a quality gun and the barrels have English proof markes. The chambers are 10 gauge 2-7/8" but the bores only measure about .750 and should be .770 or so. Can anybody explain this ? I can't gat a 3/4" wooden dowl down the bores.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to "Cartridges of the World", there are 11 gauge shotguns. The bore diameter is .751. Is it possible that in fact the shotgun is 11 gauge, rather then 10?

Would it be possible to post quality photos of all markings on the gun? Specially on the underside of the barrel breeches and water table.

EDIT #1, Without close-up shots all I can make out is the crossed scepters mark of the Birmingham Proof House.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 10 is listed as .775, an 11 is listed as .751.

Perhaps it was made for heavy brass cases along the lines of the everlasting brass rifle cartridges.

Pic's would be nice.
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a photo of the proof marks and others on the bottom of the barrels. There is also a number 29 on the metal under the forearm. It must be the serial number?
    hemenway2.jpg
    Lacking any further answers I think I have a 11 ga. shotgun that somebody chambered for 10 ga. shells. It shoots black powder 10 ga. shells just fine but has a lousy pattern.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a bunch of odd shotgun gages listed but most of them are for muzzle loading guns. I have never seen a commercial shell in 11 ga. If some collector has one a photo would be nice.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    There are a bunch of odd shotgun gages listed but most of them are for muzzle loading guns. I have never seen a commercial shell in 11 ga. If some collector has one a photo would be nice.

Super rare! Write up, but no photo in Cartridges of the World. Late 19th Century Black Powder cartridge. Mostly in UK, but Parker Brothers supposedly made two 11 gauge shotguns here in the US.