In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opening a 'Buy It Now' for one person

chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I answered a want ad here in the forums, and through several emails reached a deal. I would like to be fair to GunBroker and do it through the auction site so they can get their percentage, but I dont wan't someone else to buy it before my buyer has a chance.
Can someone advise me how to do it ?
Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also believe in doing the "right thing", but the want ads are enabled as a public service by out host, GB management. They don't make money from want ads, any more than they do from the forums. These extras increase readership, &, in turn, increase auction sales.

In the end, it's all good; I wouldn't worry about it.

Neal
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    list the auction with the buyers name as the title.
    no description, other than words to the effect of "if you arent xxx, dont bid".
    no pictures.
    just the price.

anybody stupid enough to bid on it deserves to pay you for the privilege.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    no pictures.
    just the price.

Yep, either that or a unique word or number that only you and the buyer know. Then send them the link.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I list it as a single 30-06 cartridge. Starting price 1 cent. Buy It Now $39.95 or whatever. If someone else buys it, you send him a single 30-06 cartridge.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    no pictures.
    just the price.

Yep, either that or a unique word or number that only you and the buyer know. Then send them the link.

You'd be pretty safe with all that, but for further assurance -- if you want -- be on the phone with your buyer the moment you list it.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    no pictures.
    just the price.

You'd be pretty safe with all that, but for further assurance -- if you want -- be on the phone with your buyer the moment you list it.

you could, but i dont think we need to treat an auction like a seal team incursion.

if i come across an auction as i have described, with the words if you arent competetone, dont bid on this auction, im going to by pass it.

perhaps it would be different if it were a real auction with pictures and a description and what not. then i might be inclined to bid if the item was under priced, sort of a test for the whole idea of the contract theory; but a blank auction? i have no idea what im bidding on. could be a goat. could be a dried up turd. could be a piece of paper that says you're an jerk on it. me personally, im just clicking back and moving on. as i said above, anybody stupid enough to bid on that auction deserves to send you some money...
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    no pictures.
    just the price.

you could, but i dont think we need to treat an auction like a seal team incursion.

if i come across an auction as i have described, with the words if you arent competetone, dont bid on this auction, im going to by pass it.

perhaps it would be different if it were a real auction with pictures and a description and what not. then i might be inclined to bid if the item was under priced, sort of a test for the whole idea of the contract theory; but a blank auction? i have no idea what im bidding on. could be a goat. could be a dried up turd. could be a piece of paper that says you're an jerk on it. me personally, im just clicking back and moving on. as i said above, anybody stupid enough to bid on that auction deserves to send you some money...
    Per Security@GunBroker, goats are accepted in lieu of payment by American Express. I got the email this morning.

Original Message
    Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:12 AM
    To: 'BGHillbilly'
    Subject: RE: Question regarding GunBroker.com Item 326958317

Goats.

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:58 AM
    To: CaptFun
    Subject: Question regarding GunBroker.com Item 326958317

GunBroker.com User Message

A message has been sent to you by a user of GunBroker.com. Please scroll down to the MESSAGE FROM USER section below to read the text.

The "From" name on this email is the sending user's GunBroker.com user name. To reply to the sender, click your 'Reply' button in your email software.

-- BEGIN MESSAGE FROM USER --

I don't have an American Express card, do you take any other forms of payment?

-- END MESSAGE FROM USER --

This message is regarding the following item:

Item Title:
    Test Item

Item Number:
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for everyone's advice. It worked out very well- I opened a 'Buy It Now' marked ONLY for '
    ' buyer, with no description other than "if you are not
    , do not bid".

I feel good, my buyer followed through and GunBroker gets their share.

Regards,
    Chris
  • Options
    pdog72pdog72 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And thankfully, no one ended up with an expensive goat.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    No goats were harmed in the making of this topic.