In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping a gun to California

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
I know this topic has to be covered someplace in gun broker forum but I can not find it. I am not a FFL and a person in California wants to purchase a John Wayne Commemorative from me. I read that since I am not a FFL I am not required to obtain permission to ship the gun but is the FFL I ship to required to have a special license to receive the gun from me and how would I know it is OK to ship to that FFL.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    A John Wayne commemorative what? Revolver, rifle, carbine?

Anyway, call the receiving FFL and follow his instructions. He may not accept a firearm from a Non-FFL and that's his prerogative or possibly state law.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same problem, in the past. Shipping guns to callie, is a can of worms. Don't even go there. Find a FFL, who has the specific knowledge. About the legal shipment of guns to CA. Who will do it for you. If the buyer wants the gun badly enough. He should be willing, to pay the FFL's fees.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The buyer better have his FFL in place and has already found out what they will charge him. SOME FFL?s in California will charge a ridiculous fee to transfer out of State guns in. Turners, a large sporting goods chain in Southern California wanted to charge over $100 to transfer a gun from me in Washington to my friend in Pasadena because they carried the gun in their store. Face to Face transfer in California they have a limit they can charge, but not for out of State. Also what type of gun are you shipping because certain handguns cannot be transferred in if they aren?t on the approved handgun list and there is a JW 1911 commemorative from America Remembers that?s not California legal. Single action revolvers at least at one point we?re not subjected to the list.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turner's quoted me $125 for a transfer & the cheapest I found was $75.
    Single action revolvers holding at least 5 rounds, with a minimum 3" barrel & minimum overall length of 7 1/2" are exempt from the list.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dodge69
    I know this topic has to be covered someplace in gun broker forum but I can not find it. I am not a FFL and a person in California wants to purchase a John Wayne Commemorative from me. I read that since I am not a FFL I am not required to obtain permission to ship the gun but is the FFL I ship to required to have a special license to receive the gun from me and how would I know it is OK to ship to that FFL.

The CFLC program applies to FFL dealers shipping to an FFL dealer in CA. If you aren't one the requirement doesn't apply. The receiving FFL doesn't need a special license, assuming the gun isn't an SBR, AW or something else unusual.

I don't know if the gun you reference is a rifle or handgun. Regardless, I would make absolutely clear "it's your job to ensure whether your FFL will accept from a non-FFL and exactly what conditions apply." For example -

Instructions to "include a copy of your DL" are insufficient because someone will decide that means he can redact his DL number or home address. Then the FFL may reject it. Instructions to "include a clear full sized color photo-copy of your current DL, front and back, unredacted and unedited, with no information removed, added or obliterated" is the minimum instruction to provide.

I'd make clear that absent an issue with the gun once it's shipped it ain't coming back.
  • Options
    dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun is a John Wayne 100 anniversary 44-40 carbine
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most dealers seem to want to charge what they lose in profit by accepting a gun from out of state rather than selling it directly. Even my go to LGS want to charge around $75 to receive a firearm. Even though they many times don't charge me to ship one.

I was fortunate to find a gun club that has an FFL and joined it. It was well worth the annual fee to be able to order bulk ammo and receive (approved) firearms from dealers and out of state FFL's for a much more minimal fee.