In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

orginal Springfield 45/70

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have an orginal Springfield model 1873 45/70 trapdoor. Serial # 51110.

Would really like to find any info possible as to this rifle.

Any links appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    We really need some good pictures in order to give you any more information. Trapdoors have historically been reworked or upgraded by both the Springfield Arsenal and aftermarket buyers like Bannerman's of NY.

Your Trapdoor was originally manufactured in 1875 but pics will show the correct stock, sights, cleaning rod, markings, inspector's cartouches, etc.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a very strong design. I would load for it if it were mine after making sure it was still up it. They can be surprisingly good shooters considering their age.

I once finished a black powder iron chicken shoot with a loaner 50-70 trapdoor - ram's at 200 meters fell over in a nice slow motion.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gonna order some black powder ammo from Blk Hills. Probably just fire a box through it, save the brass them maybe load some plinkers in hard cast lead. Already have the dies, gift from friend.

Was just couris more than anything as to the heritage from the serial numbers.

I don't have the mental capability the do such high tech things as , posting pictures on line [^][^]
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think you would do better loading width soft lead.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago I had the breechblock fall off when I opened it. The hinge broke off. That was so long ago I was able to buy a replacement one from Dixie Gunworks for $5. Even so I believe it would have remained locked if I had been firing it at the time. I have always used light loads of 3031 for bullet loads & 2400 for 2 1/2" .410 equivalent shot loads.
    Too bad I don't know how to post pictures so you could all point out all the things that are wrong with it. Pretty sure it is a Bannerman special.