In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger NO 1

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
Over the years, I've owned 3-4 Ruger No. 1"s. None of them would shoot better than about 2 1/2 MOA. I love the gun, but don't want another shotgun. Any current info regarding accuracy. THX Keith

PS I have reloaded for over 50 years

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can a Ruger no 1, or similar break-open rifle be re-barreled??? If cartridge head is the same dia on both cal's. it solves the extractor prob. How about a 222 Rem, to 221 fireball. New bbl. THX Keith
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was the ruger no 1 ever chambered in 9.3x74? I found one at a gunshop and was wondering if it was a rebarrel or an original.

Thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to know how accurate the ruger no 1 is if I do my part of course I am buying the stanless in 204 ruger any info would be helpful I am putting a leuopold vx111 6 to 25 off my remmington 700 sps bolt action which I have not been happy with
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it(they) can, but there can strength issues with older designs.

added I'm not sure slowing the bullets down by reducing the powder charge is a plus accuracy idea. I tend to have best accuracy with a fuller case. Twist rate for the 221 was 1-12, the 222 was 1-14 might make a difference and so could the barrel length on velocity.

I shot a 221FB for several years. Wonderfully accuracy, with the scope and a neck strap - it was a rifle.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger No. 1 is a falling block not a break open and has been chambered for cartridges from the .22 Hornet (in the No.3 version) to 458 Win Mag. The chamber is fully in the barrel and the only adjustment would be with the extractor to make it mate with the case head.
    As charlie says, there may be concerns with designs like the Sharps and Farquharson, but going from the triple-duece to the Fireball is easy, you could probably have a gunsmith take the required amount off the chamber face and run a finish reamer into the chamber.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    Can a Ruger no 1, or similar break-open rifle be re-barreled??? If cartridge head is the same dia on both cal's. it solves the extractor prob. How about a 222 Rem, to 221 fireball. New bbl. THX Keith

I just went thru the same thought process in a mini mauser, 222 to 221 FB, thought that I needed a F/B. Then a good buddy told me not to over think the matter, and told me to load down the 222 to 221 velocities. Same brass, dies, powder yada, yada, yada, w/o having to buy new dies, different cases, etc. Made good sense to me.. YMMV though, just a thought.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

While we understand the specific part of your question, the initial part is a bit too broad in spectrum to give a finely tuned answer.

The Ruger #1 is a Farquharson action by design although offered in modern steels and workmanship. And yes, as pointed out, is a falling block design. Not only offered in .458 Win Mag but the .416 Rigby and the .470 Nitro Express. It is considered to be a very strong action.

Yes, you can re-barrel a Ruger #1 even if the cartridge requires an extractor change. A standard factory barrel can be re-bored to a larger caliber as well but usually is avoided do to lack of quality in the factory barrel. Aftermarket barrels can be exceptional when compared to factory offerings.

Break actions have to be considered on a case to case basis because of the potential safety factors from being a weaker design.

If in the situation of wanting to convert a .222 Rem. to .221 Rem. Fireball, you can set the barrel back so long as there is sufficient shank length left after the set back and you have enough legal or desirable barrel length left. You can also as suggested simply use a slower powder to achieve Fireball velocities while retaining the .222 Rem. case. But here's where desire and personal opinion comes into play. I really like and enjoy loading and shooting the .221 Rem. Fireball or originally, the .17 Mach IV when I started using this case. Like the Hornets, it's powder appetite is petite yet it yields relatively high velocities from fairly cool burning powders. It is a staple in my selection for shooting prairie dogs.

Best.