In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Enfield Markings

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
Good morning everyone, yesterday I purchased a US Property marked Lee Enfield for $200 otd. Its sporterizd but only the stock was cut down (simple fix with a new stock). Doesn?t have the Savage Arms symbol on it but does have the US ordnance flaming cannon ball symbol. It?s an earlier production rifle because the serial number is in the 800 range and it has the ?competition? style rear sight. I only add this information because it might be helpful in solving the question I?m stuck on. The marking on the receiver says Mk. 4 No. 1/1*

I have never heard of an Enfield with a /1* designation. Any help on what this means? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Oh, all parts are matching. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee Enfield No 4 MK 1 Rifles were produced in both Canada and the United States during World War Two.

The majority of these North American produced rifles were No. 4 Mk 1* rifles meaning that the bolt head was released through a slot that was cut in the rear of the receiver instead of a catch below the rear sight.

The No. 4 Mk 1* was only produced in North America, and this change helped in simplifying production of the No. 4 Enfield rifle.

Canadian production of the Lee Enfield No 4 Rifle began in 1941 at the Long Branch Arsenal in Toronto.

Wartime production of the No. 4 ceased in 1945, but the rifle was later put back into production from 1949 until 1950. Long Branch made over 900,000 No. 4 Enfield rifles in total.

Savage produced the No. 4 Mk1* rifle in Massachusetts beginning in 1941. Savage made No. 4 Enfields were marked ?US Property? on the left side of the receiver, and they were also marked with an square S for Savage. Savage?s rifle contract was cancelled in June 1944, with an estimated 1,236,706 rifles being produced.

Mike
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my reference. The brits, changed their identification nomenclature, from Roman to Arabic numerals in 1944.

My WAG is, No.1/1*, is a very early experimental version of the Mark 1/3. Made prior to 1944.

The main indicator, is that the trigger attachment is no longer to the trigger guard but the receiver.

This is the kind of thing, that collectors love. Might make it worth quite a bit to a collector?
  • Options
    emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    According to my reference. The brits, changed their identification nomenclature, from Roman to Arabic numerals in 1944.

My WAG is, No.1/1*, is a very early experimental version of the Mark 1/3. Made prior to 1944.

The main indicator, is that the trigger attachment is no longer to the trigger guard but the receiver.

This is the kind of thing, that collectors love. Might make it worth quite a bit to a collector?

The trigger is attached to receiver, the sights are a little different than most Enfields I have seen with CmK III being stamped on the rear sight. I?m well aware about the 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 variants but have never seen a 1/1*. You?re saying this is a more rare variant?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by emsfire

The trigger is attached to receiver, the sights are a little different than most Enfields I have seen with CmK III being stamped on the rear sight. I?m well aware about the 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 variants but have never seen a 1/1*. You?re saying this is a more rare variant?

I believe so. To my way of thinking, it a pre 1944 prototype, of the 1/3. Not sure about the rear sight? But the low serial number seems to support this.

There use to be a number of forums, devoted to British firearms. Specifically SMLE's. You might try GOOGLEing, to see if you can locate them. To verify my WAG.