In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine Magazines

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at an original WWII vintage M1, but it does not have any magazines with it...What brand, brands are generally reliable, decent magazines ?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    A fellow at work gave me four ten round magazines and I am curious if any of them are military issue. I do not think they are, but there are so many manufactures, it's hard for me to tell.

Markings are as follows:

UQ
    SG (preceeded by a "C" with a sybol through it)
    K.I.

EDIT:

DC,
    Tha nks for the information. I have a Quality Hardware Carbine, and thought if it was marked QU it would ahve been original, but being backwards I wasn't sure. I thought SG might be Saginaw, but did not know if they made magazines or not. Also, the little symbol meant nothing to me so I really had no idea. At any rate, they are nice freebees...[8D]

Many thanks,

Aaron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I came by some 30 round magazines marked 'AYP'. Any info as to the maker or when produced would be great.
    Thanks!
    LTS
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use only USGI 15 rd mags; they are well made, reliable, & inexpensive. ALL have a manufacturers code stamped on the spine, with no other markings. Really shouldn't matter which manufacturer.

I recommend that you buy a copy of "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch, an inexpensive paperback available just about everywhere.

Neal
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree the issue 15 round ones were reliable, the 30's not so much - this from men that carried the weapon in combat. Inspect the magazine lips and the body for dents. I would take them apart to clean and deburr the insides.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had real good results with KCI. 15 rd magazines with my carbine got them from Brownell for less then 10.00
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey William81, I will send you a couple from my collection that should make you fine shooters. I will do my best to match the manufacturer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Hey William81, I will send you a couple from my collection that should make you fine shooters. I will do my best to match the manufacturer.

Thank you sir....email sent !!!
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider attempting to obtain one from the mfg. period of the firearm. They are still available but not cheap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He has two magazines produced for Inland on the way to his Inland.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mags arrived today?.Thank you He Dog !!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mags arrived today?.Thank you He Dog !!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Glad to help.[8D]