In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

antiques at online stores, how much nego room?

Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
When comparing prices of antique and collectibles- mostly on GunBroker, I will check for them at grabagun, gunsinternational and the others. It seems to pricing is pretty salty and a lot of guns don't sell.

I am curious if there is a general rate if inflated pricing, in which an interested buyer and negotiate on. I am more interested in how much over-value they are listed for, to help me decide on bidding elsewhere.

I have seen some items on GunBroker relisted numerous times at no reserve, but high beginning bids. when relisted, the beginning bid is lowered, and sometimes at no reserve/penny start. It seems what the sell originally wanted is close to twice what it ends up selling for.

Any experts have advice on how you see through the smoke and fog of all that? I am bidding on some great bucket-list items at different sites.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Know what you are looking for, and at. All originality counts, as well as condition. After that, you get what you pay for...the old disclaimer that usually holds true. Every now and again, you get a bargain, but if you don't know what you are looking at in antiques, especially, you get backsided.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Demand establishes value. Originality and condition, are the biggest factors affecting demand.

Unfortunately many sellers on GB are delusional, and don't recognize the above.

Like it or not. The actual fair market value of a particular item. In most cases. Is established, by the final open bidding price, realized on the auction.

The problem with the negotiating concept. Is that it cuts the auction out of the equation. The folks that run the auction, aren't stupid. IMHO, if most buyers and sellers can get away. With cutting a private under the table deal. Without involving the auction, they will do it.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I see it the market for many Winchesters is very flat. It's time to buy is another way of putting it. This situation and a need to sell might explain why some sellers are not putting a reserve on their auctions and starting prices that you might see as inflated.

James
    What's next?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have some "negotiating room" on auctions that have the best offer feature, though I have not seen many of those yet. GB has become largely a retail broker with many 'buy it now' sales. Negotiate at gun shows or your local shop.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the make an offer button would help just as much as a buy it now one does.

My dad was a great haggler, I don't think he ever bought anything at a gun show or sold much either without haggling about the price.
  • Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. regarding the negotiation part, I was referring to the online sites in which owners or stores list a firearm for sale and include the price. I am thinking that looking at asking prices at the online offers isn't necessarily a good guide on determining how much to bid on an online auction.

I received a substantial promotion after 30 years of effort, and one if my pleasures is to occasionally buy an antique. being in the old car hobby, I know the factors that determine value and have seen neophytes make some poor purchases. I see the potential for a mistake in the realm of 1873 Winchesters, and after buying a good one for a fair price, I shy away.

Once again my main question is : are the items for sale on the online sites a good estimator for deciding on an auction bid, or are most of those sellers in fantasy land?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Silver Star 5301
    Once again my main question is : are the items for sale on the online sites a good estimator for deciding on an auction bid, or are most of those sellers in fantasy land?
    My opinion is no, most of those prices are not an indicator of actual value.

To find real world prices, you can search "completed" auctions here on GB. This will show what actual selling prices are.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^ This, even the Blue Book and Standard catalog are far from accurate.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Value is determined by demand, and demand is a function of the size of the population of potential buyers. Unfortunately, for much of the antique gun market, that population has peaked and is trending downward. The collectors who grew up in the era of TV westerns and movies are beginning to pass on, or unloading their collections to get cash, or because nobody in the family is interested in inheriting them.

If you like an antique gun, pay what you are willing to for it, not what somebody else might pay. Buy it because it is something you like, but the days of considering it an investment have passed. Much like the market for older collector cars.
  • Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for everyone?s input. I am bidding on some neat firearms, as a reward to myself for reaching a milestone. Going to bid aggressively, but not to the point of regretting.

Of course in the past, I gauge how I feel when I am outbid. Relieved? Done bidding on it.

I did pass this week on an antique on GB, as I was gauging it against a very similar item elsewhere. The one on GB sold for what willl ikely be 30% less than the auction house item.