In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

REM 51 380 breechblock minor crack left rear curve

big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
Members:

Ya I know........ pics if possible, working on that!!!

??? 4 u all...... Anyone else tried this repair before ?????

Is a repair possible if this crack is not completely through the rear section of the bolt.???

Repair costs ( TIG weld job or another way ) would maybe be $$$ and no guarantee that a good repair job would prevent further breakage of the existing crack ??

Tks in advance.

Merry X-Mas to you and yours and Happy and prosperous New Year in 2019 !!!!

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the skill of the welder, choice of heat source, fill material and the quality of the material to be repaired.

I consider it a bad sign in materials that crack. Could be many reasons such as poor quality steel, heat treatment quality control or it was taxed beyond its design limit. Shooting 38 Super in a 38 ACP or +P+ ammo for example.

I think it could be welded, maybe even beefed up some - depends on the location of the crack.

73490.jpg

added I don't think the mail works here anymore and for hasn't for a long time.

My dad could weld anything. Sadly I never acquired the skill. The extractor hook on one of my 1911 broke off. He welded a blob on it and I filed it out to shape and fit. Many 1000's of rounds later it was still working just fine. The hammer was broke in the same spot as a previous repair of a Colt 1902-Philippine/Alaskan basket case when he got it back in the late 50's to early 60's. He welded it up and it still works. It was the first pistol I ever got to shoot - still in the family.
  • big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    charliemeyer007:

Check your email inbox.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a known weakness in an otherwise brilliant design, yours is not the first breechblock to crack.

Chuck Rogers is a pro gunsmith who uses Pullman for welding on guns.
    https://pullmanarms.com/gun_smithing_services/

Google finds Micro Precision Welding but I have no direct referral.
    https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/gun-repair
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broke the extractor, on the one I owned years ago. Was able to get a replacement to fix it.

No offense to Charlie. But the perspective of his photo, gives a erroneous idea of the size of the internals of the 51. Very, very small. Even if you had somebody who was a ace welder, to attempt a weld. I wouldn't be confident, that it would stand up to additional firing.

Given that it's probably, at least 90 years old. If I couldn't get a replacement breech block, from a old parts house. I would just put it out to pasture, for a honorable retirement. Rather then spending big bucks, on a questionable weld job. That might not work.
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse :

Tks for the leads...

Chuck Rogers website with previously worked on cracked firearm parts looks like the guy to contact and consult.

My Rem 51 380 breechblock crack size/length looks similar to the ones shown in his pics.

Will contact after X-Mas.
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow :

Tks for comments... Will do a phone call to him ( Chuck R. ) after X - Mas and send him pics for a review / get price on any repair he feels will work, before anything else goes forward.

May work, may not, don't know till you ask !!!!
    edited November -1
    charliemeyer 007 :

don't think the mail works here anymore and for hasn't for a long time.

UNDERSTOOD !!!!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Understand, Chuck is not doing the welding or the repair; he is sending stuff out to Pullman. You can ask Chuck but he will likely refer you to Pullman direct.
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse :

After re reading your post. figured out who is who!!!

UNDERSTOOD !!!!