In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

live shell slips through ejectors

claybustedclaybusted Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 3200 special trap. On occasion, while loading, a live shell will fall past the ejectors. So far it has only happened on the top barrel. Is there a fix for this, or are parts and a gunsmith required. Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. The only one I ever shot was a prototype that belonged to a factory Remington lady shooter. Loved the lock time. Google found a guy with 1.1 million round count replaced one firing pin and a sear.

I suppose the extractor could have some wear either on the end where it engages the rim or perhaps the shaft/receiver that allows it to tip out some. Would need hands on to evaluate it properly.

I suspect the ammo, try some other brands. If it's still an issue a real gunsmith or a trip back to Remington if they still work on them.

added There appears to be only one place with spare parts. Seems they are very proud of them ($$$$) and reviews on their work is mixed.

Try and wiggle (in all direction) the ejectors in their fully out position, compare the play between both. With them fully seated without ammo look at the ring section of the extractor compared to the barrel section on both, perhaps use a brass punch and try an move them in/out.

Lastly it could be your technique at inserting the shells in the upper vs the lower. It could be the angle of insertion with the ejector (if you were left handed it might be the lower barrel causing issues). See if you can do it on the lower by working at it.

Bending doesn't sound like a good idea to me (but it might work) compared to building up some metal on the top edge zones where it engages the shell. You could test the concept with JB Weld easily enough.

Good luck. When you find the solution please post it.
  • claybustedclaybusted Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    A common problem, either 'slightly' bend the ejector/extractor shaft (they are very hard) 'in' or replace the ejector/extractor. I don't think Rem. will work on them as they haven't been made for some time.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laibs is the last known 3200 repair shop in usa.
    some ammo rims today are less pronounced than the older brass ones (when the 3200 was made ) it can slip by. but its most likely just worn out. and too, sometimes owners don't push the shell in far enough and try closing the bbl. when it doesn't go, they try again and only harder theeennnn...they look down and realize its not in all the way. result? the ejector gets bent over time. have a smith look at it. the rails may be worn too.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.