In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HIGH STANDARD M-A

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
Local p.s. has one, when were these made and how do they compare to a H-D?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://gun-data.com/high_standard_1956_1980.htm

I'm not sure I have ever seen one. I like the outside hammer on the HD-Military. I had a Sport King and its not the same feel.

added
    I thought he was talking about a Model A as in M-A.

I have Charlie's book. I should get it out and at least look at the pictures of nice pistols.

Thanks John for your valued input.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your referring to the H-A, with the external hammer? It was a very low production variation. Made for only a couple years, before the war. It had a smaller diameter, lighter barrel than the H-D. The barrel was very similar to the ones on the Model B's.

If it's factory original, and in at least VG condition? It would be sought after by H-S collectors.

EDIT #1,

To clarify John's comment below. During that time frame, in the early
    1940's. All High Standard pistols, were consecutively serial numbered. Irregardless of model. The serial number range John provides, weren't all H-A's. All different High Standard 22 pistols made during that time frame. A's, B's,H-E's,H-D's,D's, etc. Were in that same, serial number range.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    Local p.s. has one, when were these made and how do they compare to a H-D?

The Model H-A was shipped between serial number 53,195 on April 12, 1940 and 92,816 on February 5 1942.

The Model H-D had a medium weight barrel with the Model H-A having a light weight barrel and the Model H-E having a bull barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    https://gun-data.com/high_standard_1956_1980.htm

I'm not sure I have ever seen one. I like the outside hammer on the HD-Military. I had a Sport King and its not the same feel.

The charts you reference have mixed value. The acceptance date code is correct but it was mostly used for Sears long guns since they were not serialized. In this case the pistol in question greatly predates the dates covered by the table.

The table below the date codes contains a lot of errors. It lists guns that never existed doesn't list guns that did .The year ranges of several other guns are wrong.

Isn't the internet wonderful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    If your referring to the H-A, with the external hammer? It was a very low production variation. Made for only a couple years, before the war. It had a smaller diameter, lighter barrel than the H-D. The barrel was very similar to the ones on the Model B's.

If it's factory original, and in at least VG condition? It would be sought after by H-S collectors.

Scarce? The Charlie petty book numbers are about 10% low for the Model H-A. The short barrel version has a production rarity of PR-10 and the long barrel PR-11. Based on my current research the short barrel version would rank 166th and the long barrel 198th.

Note that Charlie Petty's production numbers for the Model H-D are high by a factory of about ten and he does not mention the post war Model H-D which is extremely rare at PR-5.

http://www.histandard.info/PDF2015/Rarity rating 8-10-2015.pdf
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Scarce? The Charlie petty book numbers are about 10% low for the Model H-A. The short barrel version has a production rarity of PR-10 and the long barrel PR-11. Based on my current research the short barrel version would rank 166th and the long barrel 198th.

Note that Charlie Petty's production numbers for the Model H-D are high by a factory of about ten and he does not mention the post war Model H-D which is extremely rare at PR-5.

http://www.histandard.info/PDF2015/Rarity rating 8-10-2015.pdf

Might not, be scarce to you John. But I bought my first H-S .22, in the mid 60's. Many more have come and gone, since then. Never so much, have had a hands-on, with a Model H-A. That was for sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well I went back today and there it was........gone [:(]
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mike...hold out for nice 102 or 103 series and be happy you did.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "mike...hold out for nice 102 or 103 series and be happy you did"
    like they say out west "this ain't my first (high standard) rodeo"[;)].
    it's just that I've never even seen a "A". I have 2 right now, a Citation and a 'space' gun.