In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thanks for the mauser information

johnbjohnb Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Thanks to all that replied,,, allen griggs it is priced at 175.00 .. some more info if it matters.. left side receiver stamped F.M.A.P. MAUSER MOD 1909... serial # 0066-- ......

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The price sounds good, if it is in good condition. One poster spoke of an Argentine which the barrel was just too large, so you would be taking a bit of a chance. If you got one like that you could rebarrel. You know the action is good so with a rebarrel you would have a helluva rifle in any caliber you wanted. You could test it before purchase, by getting a 30-06 round and attempting to insert the bullet into the bore. If the bullet goes part way into the muzzle but stops well short of the brass you are ok. If it goes in all the way to the brass, that bore is too big. By the way is this rifle, other than the rechambering, still in the original military configuration? Have the barrel or the stock been sawed off? With those markings I believe your rifle was made in Argentina, not in Germany. The Mauser Co in Germany licensed many foreign countries, including Sweden and Mexico, to make rifles. They were made under strict supervision of the Germans and as far as I know all the foreign made Mausers are top notch, except I would stay away from the Chinese Mauser. Good luck.

Edited by - allen griggs on 11/01/2002 09:58:27
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you dismiss that barrel, try it. I've shot thousands of 30-06 rounds of M-1 and M-2 ball ammunition through converted .311 bore Japanese service rifles with good accuracy.
    Alternatively, you could load .311 diameter bullets in the '06 cases.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Not all Mauser receivers have the same heat treat. The heat reat varies by where they were manufactured, and some contract countries only heat treated receivers strong enough to handle the cartridge that it was originally designed for. The lighter heat treating made the metal cutting (machining) easier. Rule of thumb, If it's a contract gun, don't rebarrel for any cartridge with higher pressures than the original. German Mauser's were heat treated to the same specifications reguardless of caliber on the '98 receivers.

You can find a clean '09 for the same money in the original caliber. Then, either hand load or buy the proper ammunition. It only takes one mistake to be really sorry.

The NRA is on our side!