In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Broomhandle .45 ACP

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I see Mauser broomhandle pistols in .45 ACP caliber offered for sale now and then. I think the .45s are Chinese made. Question are they a quality pistol. I once had a .30 cal broomhandle that was excellent but it was German made. During the war I went to VN several times but was never able to get one of the .45s but still think I would like to have one. Any info appreciated. Thanks, Robert

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Here is prelim report on the Chinese 45 broomhandle I just received. Apparently never used, no finish wear on high points. Finish has very minor discoloration, rust starting probably from long time storage. Actually so minor that it is not immediately noticeable, considering it is a military piece not finely finished in the first place. The major surface areas like barrel and flat sides are finished well enough that tool marks are removed, but not really polished. Small recessed panels on each side about 1" by 1 1/2" have end mill swirls like one sees on some Lugers, but worse. The machine fitting of the action seems excellent, with no sidewise slop in the barrel-to-receiver ways, bolt-to-receiver, etc. Bore is beautiful very narrow lands, six right hand twist. Inferior quality or skill evidence in hand work on small parts. Example is rear sight has free movement right-left about 1/32". Sight is graduated to 1000 meters (optimistic for .45ACP). At 500 meters is is raised about an inch. Won't go higher due to mechanical limits. Operation of action feels gritty, needing cleaning or a lot of break-in firing. Reminds me of a SS S&W Model 66 I bought about 20 years ago. Length of firing pin is that with hammer down it would fire if struck or dropped. Will report again when I get more info.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Robert; I've owned several over the Years...Fortunatly for me They worked just fine...But if you have a need...Parts are virtually Non-existant anymore...But wish I had Kept my last one...sigh...."If wishes were Horses...Beggars would ride"..

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you looking at the ones offered by IAR, San Juan Capistrano, CA?
    I ordered one of these for a customer last year, and he was tickeled pink when he got it. He paid the extra $100 for a special pick, and what he got was absolutely new, unfired, beautiful, and high quality manufacture. As I recall, it was packed in wax. About two months ago he was visiting and the subject came up (he collects broomhandles, and usually has a new acquisiton to show to me), and he just about knocked my socks off when he expressed the opinion that the Chinese .45 broomhandle was "new manufacture". His reasoning was that it is in "just too good shape" and he pointed out some minor differences between his specimen and a couple of photos in a collector book. I promised I'd look into it to satisfy the curiosity he had generated, and a few days later I got around to phoning IAR. The gent I spoke with (can't recall the name, but we've talked before and he's a major mover there) said that the pistols are not "first issue" but are established as being over 50 years old as they are C&R eligible (and they've been selling them for several years--which makes them older yet!) and that they were probably made in the 1930s. That is old enough for me, and my friend agrees. At least they're not being currently manufacured for export! If I hadn't just sworn off broomhandles last year and gotten rid of several (keeping only one so I can say, "That's a broomhandle") I would definately buy one of these. They will increase in value, and are very awesome to hold and look at. I'd like to address one other part of your question--like I already stated, these are high quality manufacure. Personally, I remember when I was a kid after W.W.II that our Country was flooded with cheap goods from Japan. They made everything from toys to tools to optics, and it was all junk. Very low quality, junkie, junk. It took them years to start making good products (Sony, Toyota, etc.). There was a period thereafter that "Made in Taiwan" was bad news, and for awhile "Made in South Korea" wasn't a recommendation either. All this being said, I've been pretty impressed by Chinese-made products. Not always up to American quality (in and of itself not always a recommendation--Lorcin, Jennings, Davis...) but usually a solid, steel, dependable product perhaps finished to a lesser degree. I know that there have been exceptions--I've heard that some of the '97 Win. copies aren't too good; but the MAC 90s, Tokarevs, Brolin shotguns, etc. are good value.
    I hate subsidizing Commies.....but it's hard to find products in stores that aren't "Made in China". One this is certain, speaking as a gunsmith, these folks have always displayed a talent for machining, from the M-88 Hanyang rifle to the current stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Der G. Many thanks for your input. I agree with your comments re Chinese products, both pro and con. Their items made of steel seem very good. I have one of their spring air rifles that I have shot at least 1500 times with same penetration and trigger pull. That tells me something. I don't recall where I last saw an ad for the .45 broom. If you have the phone number or email address for IAR, I would appreciate your sending it. My email is rhmc24@swbell.net if you want to reply direct. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posting. Thanks again. Robert
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What was the asking Price from the Company in Swallowville...best...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IAR, Inc.
    33171 Camino Capistrano
    San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
    www.iar-arms.com
    949-443-3642

Dealers Only
    $895.00 (List $1,499)
    Select Conditon add $100

(All this means is that you'll have to order through a dealer and pay his handling fee. A mere one day's lunch money for Capt.Kirk!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aw...You're just saying that...cause its true...! Thanks Buddy...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a bunch! I'll look into it and will post the outcome. Robert
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called IAR and talked with Walt. They are sold out of the "select" quality pistols. Says those remaining suffer from long storage with fine specks in the blue. No abuse or wear from use and have fine bores. I ordered one. Should have it in about a week. I will report again when I get it. Robert