In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Leupold VariX 1 or VXII

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
Gun shop has two scopes for sale.
One is an Leupold VXII(older type). The other scope is a VariX1(newer type).Both scopes are new in box, and both scopes are $179. Which one should I get. I would like to at least look through the two scopes, but the boxes are sealed and the owner wants to keep them that way.

"Sometimes the people have to give up some individual rights for the safety of society."
-Bill Clinton(MTV interview)

Comments

• Options
    hitmanhitman Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo,
    I have both. Only difference I can tell is the old V-II has positive clicks on the adjustments. The V-I adjusts without any clicks. I don't know if there are any other changes, but I like the old V-II better.

Hitman
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I would be carefull with USED Leulold's they won't last on large rifles, But if you do buy them just box them up and send to factory for repair before you mount them on a rifle.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    I've probably owned 35-40 Leupold scopes. New, used and abused. Not one ever failed me and I have had these on some very large caliber shoulder fired firearms and handguns. Without knowing which power the scopes are I would say go with the VariX II

AlleninAlaska

http://www.outdoor-o-rama.com

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aglore-It is not the variXII, it is the VXII. My understanding, is the VARIX2, is the newere model, while the VX2, is the older "obsolete(for lack of a better word)"
    The two models I am comparing are the
    VX2(older type) and the
    VariX1(new type)
    They are both 3x9x40.

"Sometimes the people have to give up some individual rights for the safety of society."
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo, the VX-II replaced the variX-II, and is of higher quality than the VariX-I which is the older scope. Next step up is the VariX-III. Since they are each NIB the price is very attractive, and I would buy both if I could swing it. Between the two, my inclination would be the VX-II. See www.bearbasin.com for the new models and very competitive comparison prices.

Edited by - He Dog on 11/01/2002 14:55:54
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ahhh man now Im all screwed up. Couldnt Leupold come up with a different name for the new line, I mean its really confusing.Ill try again
    VariX2(old style)or
    VariX1(new style) the scope that Dicksporting goods sells for $200.
    Which one is better.
    Thanks HeDog for setting me straight.

• Options
    CAPPERCAPPER Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vari-X III (still made)
    Vari-X II (old)
    VX-II (new)
    VX-I (new)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I quit.

• Options
    quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Capper said it simply... Go with the VX-II, better quality than Vari-XI. With my experience with Leupolds, go with the biggest objective you can get. I had a VX-II 3-9-40 and it was not much higher quality than a Bushnell. Got the VX-II 3-9-50 instead and it is like night and day!
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, lets get this correct, and stop confusing salzo.
    This is how it goes.
    VariX-II: the older version, cheaper version of Leupold's line, with click adjustment.
    VariX-III: the updated version of the VariX-II, more expensive of the 2 scopes, updated optics, and still made, whereas the VariX-II is no longer in production.

The new VX-I, is similar in quality to the older VariX-II, but cheaper, no positive click adjustments.
    The new VX-II, has positive click adjustments, better than the VX-I, about the same as a VariX-II, but still not a VariX-III.
    Any scope they carry besides those, the mega priced ones, I cant tell you about without going to the web site, as they are beyond normal comprehension of a reasonable price, and I have no interest in them.
    Oh yes, I'd go with the newer VX-II. As my logic goes, if it wasnt better, they wouldnt be building it, unless of course they found a cheaper way to build a scope of the same quality, but my money is on better technology results in a better scope.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Edited by - robsguns on 11/03/2002 06:34:02
  • Options
    HUNTER30HUNTER30 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older Vari-xII is no longer made.Now they came out with the VX-I & the VX-II.The VX-I is the same as the older Vari-XII.The VX-II has 1/4 click adjustments & has Multi-Coat 4 on the outer lenses.I had the Vari-XII & sold it & bought the VX-II 3-9x50 & i'm glad that i did it is 10 times better than the older Vari-XII. Hunter
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been thinking of buying either a VX-1 or VX-2. I was in a Bass pro shop recently, and was able to compare the 2 side by side. I was surprised to see that the VX-2 was considerably brighter - I say surprised because the lighting in these stores is pretty good, but still went I pointed the scopes towards shadows, the difference was there. The comparison convinced me that the VX-2 would have a significant advantage at dawn & dusk.

Also, the VX-2 can be had for $ 200 - 220, on eBay, which isn't a lot more than retail of a VX-1.

I know, I know, everybody hates eBay, but it is your money, do with it what you want.........