In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

COLT PISTOLS

nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
HEY ALL ,THANKS, I HAVE STARTED LOOKING FOR A COLT 45 SEMI 5" MY HEAD WAS SPINNING FROM THE CHOICES OLDER VS NEW
GOVERNMENT
NATIONAL MATCH
1991A1
GOLD CUP
XSE
DELTA ELITE
AND I AM SURE THE LIST COULD GO ON AND ON
I WILL SHOOT IT ONLY FEW TIMES A YEAR TARGET,WILL MAINLY BE BY THE COUCH AND MIGHT TAKE AS A SIDEARM HUNTING.
ANY ONE OUT THERE OWN ONE OR MORE OF THESE WHAT ARE SOME OF THE BIGGER DIFFERANCES.I KNOW I DO NOT WANT A 1991A1 FOR SURE.THE REST ARE UP IN THE AIR.I WOULD LIKE A ENHANCED GUN ,TRIGGER ,SIGHTS WHAT ELSE SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT?????THANKS FOR YOUR HELP .PS WANT TO KEEP IT AROUND 750-1000

Comments

• hunter7737hunter7737 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For target shooting, go with the Gold Cup. It doesn't get any better than that, unless you go custom.
  • nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SORRY ALSO WHAT ABOUT THE 22 CONVERION??ANY GUN BETTER THEN OTHERS WITH THE CONV
    THANKS
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Must it be a Colt?

I'm a Colt man, but Kimber and Springfield Armory make excellent 1911s also. They're worth a look.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel pretty secure carrying my Colt Anaconda .44 magnum.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about putting my Detonics VI, in the mix. It is unfired (45 auto) and in the original pistol pouch. Would deliver it to your FFL, for $616.00. Email: gwvr@cowboystate.net.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    An AMT Longslide would be the best weapon for what you have described. (Target, Hunting, around the house). Standard 1911 frame and controls with a six inch barrel and sight radius. Stock mags are crapola, but with a good mag (load only 6 rounds in the mag for proper functioning due to the mass of the slide) Very accurate!
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:
    An AMT Longslide would be the best weapon for what you have described. (Target, Hunting, around the house). Standard 1911 frame and controls with a seven inch barrel and sight radius. Stock mags are crapola, but with a good mag (load only 6 rounds in the mag for proper functioning due to the mass of the slide) Very accurate!
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding .22 Conversion Kits for Colt Pistols......Well, I have had six different ones, ranging from early style with the rounded top slide, up to and including the ones made in the middle 90's. All Colts. Each of these was tested and used on various different models of the Colt Semi Autos.......all extremely well, and all highly accurately.

I can't say that about the late 90's Ace II lightweight conversion kit, nor for the other after market most popular ones which are also aluminum or similar alloy.

I can truly say, I have never had a malfunction with one of these Colt kits when using it on a Colt Pistol, and I have fired many thousands of rounds of .22 LR ammo. Of course, I have learned from this experience that you could posibly have a problem due to poor maintenance and cleaning, but all you can shoot comfortably in a day isn't enough to cause any problem.

It does help to have the "matched" Colt parts and it being a "Factory Kit" as it came from the factory and not one made up by someone who gathered all the separate parts piecemeal. I have seen this type of kit, although it looked great, not work as well as one that hadn't been messed with or was made from parts.

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A current Colt Gold Cup is a very high quality gun that will serve your purposes very well, and will have the Colt name to carry it into heirloom status down the road.

p3skyking: I am surprised to hear that your AMT Longslide will not work reliably with a full magazine. Mine works fine with full magazines. However, the quality is so variable on AMT guns in general, that perhaps yours does not work with the added drag of a full magazine.

Still, I doubt that AMT quality is so poor that AMT accidently made your Longslide with a 6-inch barrel. The AMT Longslide has a 7-inch barrel.

My Longslide is my favorite .45 to shoot, but it was made with soft steel, and I had to replace the barrel and link because they peened and stretched respectively. The frame area where the barrel lug stops in full recoil was incorrectly machined on an angle. The slide peens where the slide stop catches the slide on an empty magazine. I fixed all these flaws and still enjoy it greatly. It may be important to note that my Longslide is a very early one, and I think quality imporved as time passed.

I agree with RP on the Colt conversion kits. I have most variations and all are very functional. Ammunition selection is very important. Promotional ammunition with bare lead bullets will tend to lead up the floating chamber much quicker than plated-bullet ammunition. The only problem is that Colt kits are no longer being made and the used market is the only source. If a stainless pistol is finally selected, the Colts kits are in blue only. The two-tone is pleasing to many, but not to me. Still, function is the purpose so looks should not make any difference.