In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

18o gr. for g23?

dboogiedboogie Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in Ask the Experts
i just purchased first glock model 23, i have heard that 180gr. rounds have been known to cause kabooms w/ glocks? Is 180gr. safe or do i wana stick w/ something like 165gr.? any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I could remember the sight where I read that 180's cause Kabooms but I can't. I have shot atleast 1,000 rounds through my 23 and have had no problems, but from what I read the problem is with reloads being hot and the gun because its polymer can't handle the pressure of the hot round and it Kabooms. I have switched to 165's to be safe. If you really want to research it go to KTOG.org and look at there ammo page, and I think there is a link to the studies I read. If you can't find it I will look around tomorrow and try and find the link for you. I'm too tired right now. I'll find it for you in the mornin'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK so I lied I had a few waking moments left in me Go to ktog.org then go to Bulletinboard, that will take you to a forum page, when you get there click on the P-40 chat. Make sure you are looking at the topics for at least the last 60 days. Under the P-40 chat you will find a topic: "180's in P-40:NOT" This thred has two different links. One of which talks about Glocks. Happy reading
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you kirkland , very much appreciated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boogie, did you find the links? Did this answer your question? If not I think I could probably find some more links for you. I guess it would have been easier to post the links instead of giving you a map through the KTOG forum, but what fun would that have been
  • Options
    denniswdennisw Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is one of the links you wanted. Look under misc. topics
    http://www.greent.com/40Page/index2.htm
    dew
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok i have done my research thatnks to the guys that posted the links, and it is obvious that i wanna stick w/ 165gr for the g23,if anyone disagrees please let me know why,.

thank u guys
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasnt aware of any problem with the 180gr bullet in the Glock 23.I didnt read the threads,but if I shoot for Defense either Federal 155gr HP or 135gr Corbon HP.With the latter you almost duplicate the legendary .357 Mag 125gr HP.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This should not be an issue with currently made ammo. If you want to play safe, get a fully supported barrel. If you reload, avoid AA #5 and powder charge below maximum to be on the safe side of the fence.

The 40 S&W is a pressure sensitve round--it's the only cartridge I do not reload at present for my limited use of my Glock 23.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Shoot what you want as long as its "NEW" factory ammo. By "NEW" I mean recently manufactured. Some early 40s+w factory ammo produced case failures due to thin walled brass. It mainly occured in federal premium hydroshock. The problem was quickly and quietly addressed and is no longer an issue. There may however still be some old ammo floating around so buy new manufactured ammo. I would also stick with jacketed bullets, lead has been documented to cause high pressure in glock factory barrels. Kaboom, in my opinion, is hyped out of proportion by people who don't like Glocks. I know my Glock22 can out perform and will outlast most guns on the market. Be safe, be smart, beware of the bullsh!ters. (The Animal)

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....