In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WINCHESTER MODEL 1873 .32WCF 24"OCT BBL

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
model 1873 winchester lever action rifle
24" octagonal bbl
.32 wcf (.32-20)
ser# 509703b
full length magazine tube
reciever tang marked "MODEL 1873"
bbl marked "WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS. NEW HAVEN. CONN U.S.A."
"-KING`S IMPROVEMENT PATENTED MARCH 29, 1886, OCTOBER 16, 1860"
integral dust cover / rails on reciever / one screw
steel buttplate(non original, flat, unmarked)
the gun has been reblued, and the buttstock replaced.
the tang sight is missing

when was it made??? what is its value???is it of intrest to collectors??? is it rare, or collectable??? any info would be helpful. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

It was manufactured in 1896, is not rare, and because of the refinish job and the replaced/missing parts, it has very little collector interest (value). Sorry for the not so good news.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i wanted a second opinion...
    the guns owner purchased the piece for $1800.00, and was told it was all original, and a second model. i explained to him what was wrong with the gun, and the 10 or more reasons that the gun was not original, or a second model.

i told him that in my opinion, when you are spending that much money at a gun show, you should spend an extra $20.00-$50.00 on a good referance book to make sure you are not buying a pig-in-a-poke. it happens to a lot of people.

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whew... did he ever get taken to the cleaners[B)]

In that condition & caliber, it is a $400 rifle at best. But I do know what you mean about the average "Joe" at the gunshow not knowing (or apparently caring) how much an antique firearm is truly worth. Unfortunately, there are also a fair number of gun show "dealers" who have vary little in the way of morals, and will lie and cheat as often as they can get away with it.

I used to step in (stick my nose in where it probably didn't belong) when I would see or hear a "dealer" at a show working over an unsuspecting buyer, but I finally broke myself of that habit... if the potential buyer wants to let himself be screwed... so be it. Now when some idiot gunshow hawk tries his routine on me, well now... then I have some fun[}:)]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    we sold the gun for him as a consignment piece, in under 48 hours for $500.00. the gun will go to the daughter of a promanent local cowboy action shooter. he will be replacing the buttplate with a correct shotgun style piece, and adding decent tang sights.

i hope the buyer has learned a good lesson. best regards, mike.