In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22lr Conversion

The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a 22lr conversion for a 1911 frame. The only ID on it other than 22lr is KART. Does anyone have any info on it, Thanks. John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!

Comments

• MAD DAWGMAD DAWG Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kart .22 conversions are a genuine high-end unit. They're accurate enough to win any match you might want to enter. There were at least a couple of versions - standard length and longer length barrel/slide assembly. Depending on model, condition, and number of magazines - they generally go for several hundred (3-6) dollars for the conversion units only, no frame. Your best general market will be among NRA 'Bullseye' Pistol Shooters. The Karts are accurate enough to please the most demanding of them. There are occasional feeding problems that usually relate to the magazines, and are generally correctable. They are a fine piece of equipment.

The Colt brand .22 conversion is at best only accurate enough for plinking (soda pop cans to 25 yards). And any of them made before about 1970 (including military contract units) are suspect as far as functional reliablility if firing more than a single box (50rds)of ammo. The Colt early model function problems are related to the 'Floating' Chamber. I have never seen an earlier model Colt conversion fire a full box of ammo (except CCI Stinger) without the floating chamber unit literally soldering solid and the unit stops cycling. And a royal pain to clean out for another less than a box of shots. In addition to several early units, including two 'New In Box' units, I have also had two of the later (Post 1970) units. With both of the post 70 units I could depend on firing at least 950+ rounds - with NO cleaning at all. With either gun, purposely shot without cleaning of any kind, my first 'hiccup' would generally occur during the last box from the second carton of ammo. And all it took was a simple basic field strip and clean to get it ready for another thousand rounds. To me, there is no readily visible difference between the early and the late units - But the late units I have had, and others I know about are definitely reliable units - albeit of only modest accuracy. While the early units are barely functional and not for very long.
    Probably more than you wanted to know. Best...........!
    MAD DAWG
  • The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mad Dawg, Thanks for the reply. I have a newer Service
    Ace that works very well. AThanks again, John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experiences with Colt Conversion Units do not agree with MD's. While fouling does tend to bind up the floating chamber, it has taken a lot more than one box to do it on any unit I have ever shot, and I have several of various vintages. Essentially, the Service Ace of Tfc is the same as a Conversion Unit, and it apparently functions well.

Using washed bullet ammunition seems to help a lot, as does using a "super" lube on the chamber. (The Stingers are plated and the bullet configuration is a good one for reducing fouling, so they would be a good choice for use in Conversion Units, as MD's experience seems to verify.) I believe (perhaps it is the power of suggestion) that Tetra-Gun and Militec seem to keep the chamber free for a very long time, with Militec having the apparent edge.

If I gather all my .22 Conversion Unit/Ace/Service Ace magazines for a shooting session, I can muster up more than a dozen and I load all of them at once, then run them through rapidly. I therefore put more than a box and a half through the kit in a short time, then reload everything and do it again. The chamber is by then getting tight, but is still free. I stick the barrel and chamber in Hoppe's and let them soak for a day or so, after which they are fairly easy to clean.

I love those Colt Conversion Units for fun and collectability, but the Kart is the way to go if top accuracy is the goal.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    karts were made in riverhead n.y.. they got forced out of business over some stupid sight patent dispute. they are very good kits.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was recently bitten by the .22 conversion bug for my 1911A1.

Looked around the various auction sites and sells forums for the Colt conversion unit, but became very discouraged at the prices. Even well worn units were going for more than I thought they should.

Settled on a Ciener unit out of Fla. that looked good and had good reviews. Installed it and went to the range with an assortment of standard, high velocity (recommended by the mf'r) and match ammo. Found the PMC Target standard velocity stuff to work extremely well and provide great accuracy. I'm happy.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have a nice colt conversion but no box..$325 shipped toolman9mm@yahoo.com thanks tom