In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10mm/40S&W cartridge the same??

2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Are they (one and the same)as used in the S&W model 610 revolver?

Thanks
Ed R.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    No, they are totally different in power and length. They both use the same diameter bullet, but the 10mm is a longer, more powerful round. You can fire the lesser .40 S&W in a 10mm revolver, but not in a 10mm automatic. They are cousins like the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    You could probably interchange them in the revolver, but I wouldn't recommend it, there is a bit of case length difference. The 40S&W is a shortened version of the 10mm. They were able to duplicate the ballistics of the "FBI Lite" 10 mm load in a 9mm Luger length cartridge. Hence the 40 became rather popular due to its abilities to provide a higher power cartridge in a smaller frame gun. The 10mm is still popular, but it is more of a magnum cartridge and not necessarily for those who are squeemish about recoil. I like it, but some folks don't go for the "big boomers"[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    pistolcartridges.jpg

picture courtesy of Bambihunter
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsergovic, interesting pic. I myself have shot hundreds of rounds of everything pictured, except the 10mm. Might have to go out and get myself one, one of these days...

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have shot 5000 or more rounds of .40(.85"long) out of my 610 in the last 6 months. I dropped some 10's(.99"long)in last weekend just to see if everything was still in order and it was. Then there is the 10mm auto magnum which is a 10 at 1.25" long. just need a reamer. The smith 646 is .40 only as it is in the lighter l frame.

The .40 has a lighter web structure than the 10 and is designed for slightly lower pressures. the ,40 use a small primer, the 10 a large. The 40's are the choice generally for those using a revolver in IPSC type events because the eject free easier because of the shorter length, which makes for faster reloads. the 610 is so heavy that the 10's are not hard to shoot, and the 40's feel like a .22. in a 6.5" gun. recoil is not so friendly in a 3 7/8" gun.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for keeping aswering the 10mm questions in my absence... [;)]

Everyone has it about right, but I would like to add that the ONLY gun I know of that is specifically designed to handle both is the S&W 610. As some said there is no automatics out there that recommend interchanging them.
    As a side-note, if you get a semi-auto, get a 10mm. Options including extra barrels are available for the 10mm that allow use of subcalibers (.40 S&W and .357 SIG). However, they typically can't go the other way (.40 S&W to 10mm) without a lot of trouble.
    For Glocks, the extra barrels are right about $100 each for both the .40 and .357...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what its worth, the 10MM has large pistol primers and the 40 S&W takes small pistol primers

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by The firearms consultant
    For what its worth, the 10MM has large pistol primers and the 40 S&W takes small pistol primers

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!

Um, no, they both take large ones.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Chuckstyle, I don't usually correct people on the boards but you are wrong. 40 S&W takes small primers. I loaded 1200 rounds last night with Federal 100 small pistol primers.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.