In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

weaver scopes

toddwilson_@excite.comtoddwilson_@excite.com Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in Ask the Experts
How are the new generation Weaver scopes? Advantages and disadvantages Is the glass any good ? Where are they made ?

Comments

• toddwilson_@excite.comtoddwilson_@excite.com Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes can anybody tell me anything about a weaver kt-15 scope.is anybody useing one.i'm looking at one for a varmint rifle[:D][:D]

thanks for any info.
    edited November -1
    today i bought a marlin 336 with a weaver challenger c4r scope on it but i cant find out anything about the scope . is it any good ? does the "r" stand for rimfire? [?]
    edited November -1
    Anybody know anything about the quality of the Weaver "Grand Slam" scopes? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I like the older steel tubed 4x weaver scopes. I have several of them and do all of my big game hunting with them. Most of them are over 30 years old. I believe they are far better than any big fancy scope out today, and yes I have shot both including some $1,000 plus scopes that ar esupposed to be good for over 1000 yards and I still lean to the old weavers.

Anyway I have 3 different types I have Weaver Marksman wich say USA on them and I have K4 wich say USA on them. Then I have Weaver Challenger. Were the Challenger's made in the USA?
    edited November -1
    Just a question. Rec'd a vintage steel tube 8x Weaver at the shop for a restoration project, however the first lense glass at the eyepiece end is cracked severely any way to obtain a replacement for this lense piece?

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
    edited November -1
    How good are the Weaver K6 scopes compared to a fixed power Leupold or fixed power Nikon or Burris? As always thanks for your replies.
    edited November -1
    Greetings, I was curious about Weaver brand scopes. Are they a decent value, where does their accuracy and durability compare to the Bushnell, Leupold,Nikon and other big name brands. Evidently the Weaver has been around for quite some time, they must be doing something right. Thanks for your thoughts.
    edited November -1
    Any input on these scopes? Saw one that is engraved with high gloss finish and came with rings. Never had anything but Leupold but this looks great. Thanks
    edited November -1
    When did Weaver make the transition of a steel tube to an aluminum tube for their scopes? There seem to be a lot of steel tubes still around.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Weaver scopes, one a fixed K4 and one a V16, I am very happy with them and they have not given me a bit of trouble. I know alot of people will say "Leupold " but comparing them side by side, you will be hard pressed to see any difference. I work part time for a gunshop here and have had several Leupolds come back in to be sent for repair, but never had a Weaver come back.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the newer weavers have great glass,...but for adjustment integrity,..go with the Grand Slam version in the lower powers if you are using it for close range work. But then again,..close range doesn't require superb adjustment integrity anyway.

I will champion the Burris line whenever asked,..I think they are some of the best optics available in the price range.

I am not a Leupold Groupie,...but I still own several. I have a 8.5-25x50 MK IV M1 and a vari-x II 3-9x40. Both are great scopes. With that being said,...even I have to admit that if you see more leupolds going back to the factory,..it is due to the fact that there are more of them purchased than most other brands,..therefore law of numbers dictates that the return rate will be greater.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Grand Slam on one rifle and it is a decent scope. I would probably not go with one of Weavers lower-priced scopes. Like JustC I am a fan of Burris, and also like Leupold, though not quite as well. Most of my scopes are Burris. Elk shots are often just at first light, and the Burris scopes deliver the image.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have several Leupold's and have sent several back for repairs, they dont seem to like the recoil of 300 and 338 Mag rifles, I have gone to the B&L 3200 and 4200 and am well pleased with both of them, cant see any differnce between the 3200 and 4200, so will buy 3200 from now on, their cheaper. I think Bushnell is the same as the B&L.
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that the Burris glass & coatings give me the clearest, brightest image for the money, and to keep jobs in the US.

I KNOW that the quality of scopes/sights used can make or break a hunt... even while deer hunting for the day or the weekend in the Eastern US.

I use Weaver scopes on my 22LRs, 22 magnums, and slug guns. They will not find a place on my high powered rifles.

To save money I buy used Burris or Leupolds. The guarantee is still good as long as there is no visible sign of abuse on the outside, or they have not been opened.

"They're in front of us, they're behind us, they're to our left and to our right...they can't get away now." Chesty Puller

SEMPER FI
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Weaver K-6 on a .220 Swift Model 70. I bought the K-6 new thirty two years ago. Appears as good as when I bought it. No problems at all. Have a Weaver variable 3-9X on a .30-06 which I experienced some problem with a couple weeks ago but turned out to be my fault. I'm sold on them.
  • remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    TANKS.

I love my Weaver scopes. T-6 and T-10 on my Rem. 40x's (308 and 22lr), K lines all over my sporter 22's (love the post reticals), a couple of V's, Marksman's and an old C on a Mauser 22.

I own Burris and Lepould's and they are very good scopes.

I have never readjusted a Weaver once it's been mounted. They are tanks.

George

Gun controll is a good eye and a steady hand.NRA instructor and coach.