In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AMT hardballer longslide

ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I ended up with this thing in a trade about 15 years ago. I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish with the trigger guard. I have put half a box through it in the time I have had it and I guess it is okay for what it is. Any idea what the interest level might be and what it's worth?

AT
IMG_23151.jpg

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I purchased an AMT .380 in the early 80's.I returned to the factory twice, and it still was a piece of junk! I haven't heard too much about your pistol, but have my doubts about anything AMT puts out. This AMT wasn't scarce, so I doubt if it's worth more than $400.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on your area I've seen AMT Long Slides .45 & 10mm sell for around $700.00 depending on condition.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As they say; one mans trash is another man's treasure!
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I carried an AMT .380 Backup single action for many years, shot it a lot. Loved the little gun, and will own another.

Also had short barreled and long barreled AMT AutoMag IIs in .22Mag that were a ball to shoot,and will likely get another long one.

Doug
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Lets all echo Doug on this one; I still shoot my 3" AMTII accurately and enjoy the heck out of it. I also have a 6" that will pop the eye on a squirrel with no effort on my part. I just don't like the 3-handed takedown.
    Hardballers are a singular gun; some like the 45ACP, some don't. The problems they had were welds on the underside of the barrel popping loose, and rough feed ramps. Pretty sure they fixed that long ago.
    I hear Henry or some other Mfr. is now offering the AMTIIs again.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the top half of a Longslide years ago. It had been nonfunctional because the extractor mortise hadn't been machined correctly. Once the offending metal was removed with needle files, it worked fine and was quite accurate.

It's hard for me to believe though, that any of the AMT guns are bringing the kind of money noted, i.e. $700+. My experience with the two Back-Up's and the above Longslide that I owned, was generally negative. They were made out of crappy quality, soft, stainless steel, investment castings. Because of this, I have doubts on their long run durability. If your buying/selling one to be a seldom fired safe queen, well and good. Don't except it to be reliable as a 7 day a week carry gun though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you really care about your life, I would suggest you never carry the AMT .380. I carried this gun as a back-up to my duty weapon. Each time it was returned to the factory I explained the importance of this weapon, and each time it came back as it started; a piece of JUNK!!!!!!
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    I purchased an AMT .380 in the early 80's.I returned to the factory twice, and it still was a piece of junk! I haven't heard too much about your pistol, but have my doubts about anything AMT puts out. This AMT wasn't scarce, so I doubt if it's worth more than $400.

Here's one for you that's worth a little more than $400.00 .GunBroker Auction http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=126189911
    [:)]