In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Revolver Experts...Question...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
A customer brought in a S&W Revolver that had a stuck cylinder...the cylinder release would not disengage the cylinder. I had a local gunsmith fix it, but it's still having an issue disengaging on one particular chamber. It will open fine on all the rest of the chambers, but it's very difficult to open whenever one particular chamber is engaged. Do you have any idea would could be causing this? It's an older model 14-4? Thanks!

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Only one I ever worked on that had that symptom had a bulged tooth on the ratchet that would force the cylinder forward and slightly askew making it very tough to release from the frame. Sometimes a torqued crane will bind like that, but usually on a few cylinders or more to varying degrees.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC I bought an old Pre Model 14 a while back and had a similar problem-come to find out the forcing cone had a crack in it that made it very difficult to open as it put pressure on the cylinder face-check that just in case as older K frames can have this problem especially if they digested lots of hot handloads. Also have a friend whose dad has a Vietnam era K frame that he brought back from the war with a slightly bent ejector rod-so slight you can barely tell--the cylinder will rotate but it is very difficult if not impossible to open when one of the cylinder holes is in the firing position-he has to rotate it to be able to open it. Possibly the B/C gap isn't correct and that one charge hole is just causing problems.