In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 build question ...

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
If I build an AR-15 and the receiver says its a .223 but its actually a 7.62x39 or 5.7 ... can I get in trouble with the BTAFE?
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, You're fine.

The problem is when you start getting into restricted areas like rifle-to-handgun, using pistol barrel on rifle action and coming up with an 'SBR' (short barrelled rifle) or of course the semi-auto - to - full auto. These can be done within your state if it's legal within your state. If it is legal then you need to pay a 'usage tax'. Where SBRs and silencers are legal, it's a $200 tax stamp. It gets more complicated than what I can explain briefly, but changing calibers isn't an issue.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Nope, You're fine.

The problem is when you start getting into restricted areas like rifle-to-handgun, using pistol barrel on rifle action and coming up with an 'SBR' (short barrelled rifle) or of course the semi-auto - to - full auto. These can be done within your state if it's legal within your state. If it is legal then you need to pay a 'usage tax'. Where SBRs and silencers are legal, it's a $200 tax stamp. It gets more complicated than what I can explain briefly, but changing calibers isn't an issue.

No offense Sandwarrior but the above in red is a no-no, no matter what state you live in.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you live in an area where there is rifle registration and you choose to comply there may or may not be an issue with the caliber. i would assume you would register it as a 223 but if you are questioned by a local jack booted thug he/she could make an issue out of it.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Nope, You're fine.

No offense Sandwarrior but the above in red is a no-no, no matter what state you live in.

No offense taken. I mis-stated what I meant to say. What I meant is that having a full auto is going to require you to get the tax stamp. Changing a semi-auto to full auto is a no-no. Getting a full auto is what I meant. My apologies.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    As far as I am aware there is no requirement for marking caliber anywhere on a gun.

I know it is not a requirement to be marked on the receiver. Very few guns have the caliber marked on the receiver.

Most companies mark the caliber on the barrel since the same receiver is used to make many calibers.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    As far as I am aware there is no requirement for marking caliber anywhere on a gun.

I know it is not a requirement to be marked on the receiver. Very few guns have the caliber marked on the receiver.

Most companies mark the caliber on the barrel since the same receiver is used to make many calibers.

+1, the 2 stripped recievers that I just bought are NOT marked with any caliber. They are LCW brand. Greg the fella that runs the shop at Lauer's, told me that well there are no laws on having a different caliber upper on a .223 marked lower, they purposely don't label theirs in case someone wanted to make a stink and got on a power trip.

Jon
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

Yes.

Industry standard is to mark the BARREL with the caliber, since that's where the bullet actually passes through!

People have been rebarreling rifles for decades, and if you change caliber, again, that gets noted on the new barrel.

While there are a number of fairly obvious good reasons not to have a gun receiver marked in a different caliber than the gun is actually chambered for, so far as I know a discrepancy like that is not actually illegal anywhere. . .(yet).

Note that sabot rounds, in theory can let you shoot rounds in totally different calibers than the nominal one of the rifle in question.

Also note that many pistols are caliber marked on the SLIDE, but just by swapping barrels, you can get them to shoot other calibers. (Some pistols are ALSO, or ONLY marked on the slide, usually the breech part that shows through the ejection port).
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all ... I didn't know if it was a problem or not and wanted to check with the experts.

I thought maybe domestic assault styled firearms were an exception. I know receivers like my Remington 700 are not marked, however my SiG-556's are marked 223/5.56 and all my other AR receivers are marked 223 or 5.56 ... and although not domestic my Daewoo AR110C is marked 223 and my Daewoo DR300 is marked 7.62x39, my UZI is marked 9mm. If its not required I wonder why they go to the extra expense to do this?

Last week in perusing the auction side I ran across some receivers for $59.95 that were marked "Multi-Caliber" and bought one. I don't have a build in mind right now but was thinking of registering it as a SBR and using the 10.5" upper I have on my BOHICA Pistol because unless you are shooting from the hip, spray and pray style, the AR pistol is just clunky and awkward ... it really needs a stock but I didn't want to etch the name of my trust in a pre-ban receiver like the BOHICA either.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.