In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun safe

TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking into getting a gun safe with fire protection. Only thing is I'm kinda stupid on this subject. I looked on line and they all seem about the same to me. My price range is gonna be around $500.00 and I'm thinking 10 to 12 guns should be plenty big enough. Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello, I am looking for info on what is thought to be the best gun safes on the market. Need some input from folks that. What do you have and why do you like or dislike it.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm way off base here, but first I would teach the kids about guns! How much fun they can be,but also teach them how deadly they can be when improperly handled! Locking up all your guns does absolutely nothing if your kid is visiting a neighbor's kid and they decide to play with a firearm.Teach them never to handle a firearm unless there is an adult present, and if one of their friends ever happens to have a weapon without an adult present tell them to leave the room immediately, go outside, get away from the weapon, and the person with it! Now go buy that safe!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im finally buying a safe and have become pretty set on the Patriot Collector. Before I spend the money would like some second opinions on this one though. Is it as good as they claim. And I usually hate anything electronic when it comes to security or firearms. Is the lock (X2400) any good on this thing or is going to screw me in the long run?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK I've finally reached a point where I need a decent gun safe. I found a 32 gun capacity safe at a great price from a well known manufacturer. My research says this is one of the better buys for the money.

My question is can I put this safe upstairs? And what is the best method for hauling this thing upstairs, an appliance dolly or what?

My home was built in 1995 and the floor joists are 2X10s on 16" centers. I don't have a basement and really no great place to put it downstairs. The safe weighs just under 500 lbs. I have a couple of brave trusty friends willing to help me move this thing upstairs (the beer tab will be worth it). Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just won a 1892 .44-40 and need to have it stored securely. I have decided that I want to store it in a safe and was hoping for a few siuggestions as to a quality safe that won't leave me broke. Chances are very good that more firearms will be acquired over the next few years but right now just the one. Also, it will be going on the second floor of the house so will need to be carried up a set of stairs by a couple of burly men. Thanks for your suggestions.

Penny Pincher
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking into buying a quality gun safe. Something better than the cheap tin $70.00 safe I have now. My concern is moisture. Does anyone have any tips regarding location the safe should be in a house and what type of safe I should look to buy. I want something with at least 30 minute fire protection. Is a basement a bad place to put a gun safe for moisture concerns? My basement is an average basement, not prone to excessive moisture or flooding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have come to that point where I need a standing gun safe. I don't own high end firearms but they are mine and I would like to keep it that way. There was a flier in the Sunday paper for a Cannon 24-gun fire safe rated 30 min, UL RSC,commerical grade,type-1 lock that seems to fit the need. Any feedback?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have inherited a Browning Pro Steel 32 gun safe, don't have serial/model number. It was bought new in the early 80's, just trying to find some info on it, need to get rid of it, any help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You may try www.equipmentland.com the price is 350 and 67 shipping and handling. Good luck

Larry w. Jose
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for a good deal on a Homak gun safe. The model in question is Mod. #36614. It holds 14 long guns and has a quick access on top w/ an electronic keypad that opens a drawer that looks like it will hold a pistol or two. Any input on where I might be able to find one or something comparable would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought my first gun safe today. Need advice on if I need a dehumidifer or silca gel cans or both in there to help with the humidity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need help in regards to purchasing a good safe for our home. I have been trying to find a source to compare different companies.

Keep your sights on the Lord, you can't miss.
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI, I have 4 safe and only one with the electronic lock. That is the one I like best.
  • Options
    dobekdobek Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use electronic on safes at work - hate'em

I have manual dials on safes at home - love'em

I don't trust the electronic to work - batteries are not what I would call dependable (regardless of that dang bunny & drum on TV)

just my opinion -

Steve
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 safes and they came with manual locks. I ordered electronic locks for all of them. I now use the safes all the time as they are so easy to use. To change a lock set just remove the interior sheet rock. Old lock comes out and new one is installed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK Ill getting mixed messages about the lock... I guess ill just have to try it for myself. But what about Patriot? Anybody got any experience with them? I dont mind spending the money considering the amount it will be protecting but Im not a fan of wasting my money either.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    TexasSS,
    i have a Fort Knox safe with the electronic lock, in the 7 years i have had this safe i changed the battery, a 9 volt, only once, the lock is your choice, BUT ! what i would look for is, does the safe have a wood interior lining ? mine does and i do not like that factor, BUT !, again, most gun safes do have a plywood interior. for an all metal construction, the price will be in the $4,000.00+ range for a 72'' H x 42'' W x 29'' D

don't know anything about the "Patriot Collector", but i would guess they are pretty much the same as other safes of comparable size and fire protection, ""Im not a fan of wasting my money either."" nor am i, i believe that most safes are about the same in construction, it's the "accessories" that make the difference, such as lighting, heat source (to defeat humidity) and maybe a "lock box" inside the safe.

shop around and have fun doing so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    USN AIRDALE,
    Everything sounds good so. The safe does have automatic lighting and the fire rating is the best Ive been able to find (1800 Degrees/2 hours) so I think Im going to run with it unless something comes up with the manufacter. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have any input on patriots but consider this, a electronic lock has ten digits. A manual has 100. How many more combinatios do you have to choose from? The question to ask is what is harder to break into or defeat. I like the manual just because you have alot more possible combos then the electronic.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TexasSS
    Im finally buying a safe and have become pretty set on the Patriot Collector. Before I spend the money would like some second opinions on this one though. Is it as good as they claim. And I usually hate anything electronic when it comes to security or firearms. Is the lock (X2400) any good on this thing or is going to screw me in the long run?

TexasSS....I have a manual 55gun Liberty and find that I really like the key option to open...quick and efficient. It has the old tumbler dial and such. Don't know about the electronic but I tend to shy away from them as I guess I am too old fashioned. More important to me is the humidity issue. I live in a high humid area and have had problems over the years with humidity in my safes....to the point that I have moved most everything inside (rather than a cement floor garage). I assume that you are in TX (dah?) so perhaps humidity is not a problem where you are but if it is, you are going to have to deal with it. Good luck[^]
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    If you'll be getting into your safe alot, get a digital lock.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The digital lock is faster. But when the battery goes dead its a hassle.