In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

16 gauge reloaders

Jmoe131Jmoe131 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

What reloader would you recommend for reloading 16 gauge shotgun shells? Thank you.

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were rich and famous, I'd opt for a top of the line Possness. They turn out reloads that could pass for "factory shells".
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cannot answer you question...HOWEVER...The 16 is a GREAT PERFORMER with 2 3/4 DR of Powder and 1 1/8 oz of shot....
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't say what your usage is so the anwer to your quetion depends entirely on how many shells you use in a year and whether .

For instance, Cowboy Action Shooters (CAS) may fire 2-4 boxes per month (50-100) or max 1200 rounds per year or maybe a little more. This includes match shooting and practice. Many of these shooters find that the very inexpensive, low-end Lee shotshell reloader will do that job for them. The Lee unit (I forget what it is called) is made of plastic, aluminum and steel and is about $60 for either the 12, 20 or 16 gauge setups through Cabelas or one of the other catalog retailers or online. It is pretty sturdy and is guaranteed against breaking unless you do something unresonable to it. I think you can buy the basic unit with one gauge setup and then get other gauge setups for it.

Other shooters with a higher volume will naturally opt for a full Dillon or MEC setup if they shoot a lot of trap, skeet or clays. These rigs, of course are considerably more.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the LEE LOAD ALL have used one on 16 for 20 years Its easy to use, and does an OK job with everything included. If you could find a Mec Jr used, that would be better but there aren't many out there since the 16 started dropping in popularity in the 60's which was when shell reloading really took off.
  • Jmoe131Jmoe131 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the information. My twin boys really like to shoot skeet and trap and we have gone through 250 shells the past two weeks.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Pacific loader and it works just fine. A mec is another good choice. Before you get carried away with this loading project, check out the availability of components. Wads are hard to find and expensive. There are no new hulls available. If you aren't shooting trap, just buy a few boxes a year and get a 12 ga to reload for.