In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best peep sight for Handi Rifle question

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
Traded into an H&R Handi rifle in .357, one of the newer ones with the plastic sights threaded into the barrel. The rear leaf was missing, and the front does not seem very durable so i'd like to replace it as well. What is everyone's opinion on the best peep sight? I've used Williams peeps on several guns over the years and generally been satisfied, but not sure if they are still as good as the old ones. I've seen Skinner Peep makes one, as well as Nodak Spud. Anyone use any current offerings? What about replacing the front blade? I want something durable, but easily adjustable. i'll be shooting anything from wadcuters to some heavy hard hitting stuff.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't looked at the current handi sights, plastic doesn't sound good to me.

Not cheap even if you can do your own work.
    Low temp silver solder a front ramp on or drill and tap then like this front sight.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/599337726

I would find a Lyman 48 rear and modify a base to fit the drilled and tapped frame. I would get one with target knobs and add an iris sight disk. If you plan for long range then the long slide might be a good choice
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    really it is preference.
    I used a remington front sight ramp with dovetail and a bead sight with a williams rear peep that I believe was model WGRS and on another one a hooded post front sight and another a target front sight with interchangable posts.
    what do you like ?????
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that you really can't get the "peep" sight close enough to your eye unless you mount it behind the hammer.