In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock Frames

bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
Why are there so many Glock frames for sale?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between the Glock G 20, G 22, G 35 frames? They're all .40's
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because of all the aftermarket slides, barrel's, and trigger systems available. It is like the 10-22 of polymer pistols...highly customizable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So Glock sells frames only? I wouldn't have thought that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bk0331
    So Glock sells frames only? I wouldn't have thought that.

The majority of firearms manufacturer's will sell receiver's to those qualified to purchase them. If the person wanting one is a private individual, they must go thru an FFL/distributor to get one. Look on the auction side for Glock, 1911, Sig, Remington 700, Winchester 70, and a host of others...brand spankin' new
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better to get the Aluminum Frame than the "Plastic" if the cost is close.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster

Have you lost your last marble? The Glock frames will characteristically go over 50,000 rounds without failure...not even close to that with aluminum frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I was a cop the department had a R&D Glock 19 with over 100,000 rounds through it. Never cleaned. Never failed.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO it's NOT. Glock is perfect just the way God created it. Leave the damn thing alone and it will be a faithful friend. quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't had any marbles since I was 10 years old. Found out marbles and a wrist rocket goes hand in hand [:D].

If Glocks were perfect why is anyone with a mill Swiss Cheesing them like a woodpecker on meth? Or a guy with a soldering iron or a Dremmel going to work on the grips? Not talking badly about ROBAR (all hail Robbie [:D]).

So I guess Gen 4 is perfect and everything else before was an abomination? As for "god" being Austrian I reckon the devil came from there too. I reckon the Glocks are now the Legoland's 1911s? I kid. About the Glock not Hitler.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bk0331
    When I was a cop the department had a R&D Glock 19 with over 100,000 rounds through it. Never cleaned. Never failed.
    I find it hard to believe no one slightly limp wristed that pistol in over 100,000 rounds.

I've been dealing with G19's since they first hit the market. Thanks to it's combination of 9x19 chambering and ultralight frame it really doesn't take much to create a stovepipe jam with one.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GLOCK 17 9mm TORTURE TEST
    Written by Chuck Taylor. Author Archive ?
    Images by Gail Chandler

Warhorse with nearly 300,000 rounds under its belt-and still kicking!

(Glock 17 used in author's ongoing test is a 2nd generation pistol purchased new in 1988.)

When the Glock 17 9mm pistol first appeared back in the mid-1980s, I was highly skeptical of its capabilities. To be sure, the advertising claims of its toughness, reliability, user-friendliness and general superiority over other designs were both prolific and vociferous. But let's face it-all the gun manufacturers make such claims, right?
    Aware of its burgeoning popularity, I felt that the professional thing to do was to conduct my own tests to determine not only if Glock's advertising claims were true, but to also find out the true capabilities of the design. I thus purchased one new from my local dealer and proceeded to wring it out, deciding to try and "shoot it to death," and keeping copious notes in the process.
    One of the first things I decided to do was shoot the pistol without cleaning until it stopped functioning, and simultaneously present it from a holster (I have a daily hour-long dry-practice routine) as much as possible during the process.
    This phase took longer than I expected, since the gun continued to function without interruption until a bit over 10,000 rounds had been expended. In fact, it was still functioning, but with a sluggish "ka-chunk" as the slide cycled back and forth. Subsequent examination showed that the fouling had finally reached a point where it interfered with reliable functioning.
    During this initial phase, I also wore out several sets of magazines, noting that the follower springs tended to get soft after a month or so if the magazines were left fully loaded with 17 rounds. As a result, after replacing the springs, I decided to experiment a bit, loading them with only 15 rounds instead of the usual 17.
    Trijicon tritium low-light sights installed on the test gun in 1988 finally faded (in 2009) to the point where replacement was required. However, inasmuch as the manufacturer guarantees them for 10 years, the fact that they lasted more than twice that long speaks for itself.
    Within a short period of time, it became obvious that the remedy worked. The magazines functioned perfectly even after extended time periods when so loaded. In fact, though they're the old type that didn't drop freely from the weapon, I still have four of them and even after thousands and thousands of rounds, and they still work reliably.
    As the initial phase ended, I noted that the front sight had holster worn to the point where it was no longer square, making a good sight picture difficult. The corrective process was easy-I replaced it (and the rear sight) with a new set of Trijicon tritium 3-dot sights.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Txs makes a good point.

The Glock depends upon a firm hold & flexing of the frame for reliable function. That would seem to rule out a steel or aluminum frame.

Not sure I understand the love affair everyone seems to have for Glocks. I don't think anyone who has fired a standard SIG or H&K 9mm would ever say, "Hey, I shoot a lot better with the Glock."

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who put 50,000 rounds through his Glock 17 without cleaning it once. Never malfunctioned, at least according to him.

This is neither here nor there.

The question is why are there so many Glock frames for sale.

Answer (I think), is because Glock is an enormously popular platform, and lots of people like to modify the original frames, and/or build custom guns on the platform. There are several third party Glock-compatible frames on the market, including, as mentioned, metal ones. Not just aluminum, but even stainless steel.

So presumably individuals who are replacing their stock frames then sell the originals, explaining the number on the market.

I'd add, as already mentioned, that this isn't unique to Glock. There are tons of aftermarket Ruger 10-22 (rifle) frames, 1911 frames, AR-15 frames out there too. Basically any gun that's often used as a platform for modification is going to have a market for just frames, because people are interested in swapping them out and building on them.