In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SA M1 Garand bolt decoding....

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
Good afternoon. I am looking for some assistance in determining the markings on my SA M1 Garand bolt. I have searched several sources online, and cannot decode these specific markings. Can anyone assist.

It appears to be marked "D-28287" "BMB" "6334"

ry%3D400
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BMB probably is Breda Meccanica Bresciana, made in Italy in the 1950's.

And, the D-28287 is the mechanical drawing number for the bolt.

Neal
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats really curious......so how in the world did an Italian manufactured bolt assembly get in a CMP M1?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Italian firms, which also included Beretta (Beretta parts are marked PB) supplied NATO with a variety of M1 spare parts, as well as complete rifles. Italian made spares ended up in the parts stream and they are not at all uncommon. If the rifle spent time overseas, which is almost certain, an armorer installed the BMB bolt as a replacement. The bolt could have also been replaced at the CMP in Anniston, AL. Not every rifle received by the CMP is complete; some are lacking parts which are then added by the CMP armorers.

Here are some of the BMB marked parts I received in a CMP rifle a few years ago:
    BMB%20M1%201_zpszpsbihlx.jpg
    It also came with a Beretta marked gas cylinder:
    PB%20cylinder%204_zps3p6nm6sj.jpg
    PB%20cylinder%203_zpseiru57dc.jpg

As I said, Italian parts are not at all uncommon.
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you Mark, I had no idea!