In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 722 in .243 caliber

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Remington 722 in .243 Winchester caliber today. I noticed several differences on it from the other 721's and 722's I own. Are these factory changes or has someone modified the gun? First the barrel code is PG indicating manufacture on/about June of 1960. The barrel is shorter (about 22 inches) than my other 722's which have barrels of either 24 or 26 inches. This .243 also has a lighter contour barrel, no rear sight boss and it is drilled and tapped for a rear sight. The rear sight is missing but the holes are filled with flush screws. That's about it. Thanks for any information on this rifle.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think barrel has been replaced but if not it is rather rare in 243 and worth more
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, the barrel contour, and rear sight hole pattern is the same as those on a Model 725 I own.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my 1961 Stoeger's catalog, the later 721 and 722's had 2" shorter barrels without the rear sight "lump" and rear sights d&t'ed to the barrel as you describe. The rear sights were similar to the ones later used on the early 700's. If your barrel is marked in the usual Remington way, (you mention it has a date code) it is most likely a factory transition. I have one like you describe in .222 Rem. Mag. with a 24" (not 26") barrel and a date code of XH. That 1961 catalog not only indicates the shorter barrel but also pictures the rifle with the later 700 style rear sight.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google says about 2500 made in 243 for the 722. I enjoy mine in 222.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the transition barrel. In late production they removed the boss and changed the rear sight from dovetail to screws. They also changed the barrel lengths. I have a 30-06 as you describe with a 22" barrel. If the barrel marking is correct then it is factory.