In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 17

HenryT747HenryT747 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W Model 17-6 made about 1990. When I bought it back then, it came with the full lug barrel which was the "new" version back then. I have a chance to buy a non full lug barrel which looks better to me. Can the barrel be changed to the previous non-full leg version?

Comments

• HenryT747HenryT747 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just came across an old S & W Model 17. Can anyone give me the history of the gun, and what it is worth these days? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. [:)]
  • HenryT747HenryT747 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What dash number would a 4" 17 have? What would it be worth? No box,papers.About 90%. Talked to owner today--it`s a -6, full underlug, 4". Would it be worth $500?
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, they have a different yoke retention system & radius stud.

Even if it were possible, it's generally not a good idea to do barrel swaps on perfectly good S&W's.

Neal
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think so, but it's likely not a DIY project unless you have the stuff to remove and fit things.

I had a full under lug "Classic" k-22 from about that time frame. That was a very good shooting 22 pistol. The extra weight of the full lug helps dampen your wobbles. The lighter model 53 is what I use for my 22 pistol these days.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    while I have changed S&W barrels you would be 'money ahead' to just buy a different M-17 and forget the barrel swap.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    while I have changed S&W barrels you would be 'money ahead' to just buy a different M-17 and forget the barrel swap.

This.

Buy the gun you like, sell the one you don't and you'll end up with better results at less cost.

In terms of lug vs non-lug, as mentioned, that puts a little extra weight up front and tends to reduce both wobble and muzzle flip. Muzzle flip really isn't an issue with this gun and .22s.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it can be but there is fitting involved the post pinned barrels (after 1980) were crush fit and the pre 80 barrels were pinned. Where the new barrel times up when screwed in hand tight will tell you how much fitting is involved.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want something really worthwhile, look for yourself a pre-model number K-22 in nice shape. Get rid of the 17. You will have a higher quality revolver, and its value will escalate, not decline if you take care of it.