In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens #44 - loose lever?

1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Ask the Experts
I recently looked at a Stevens No. 44 rifle in 25-20. When the hammer is down, the lever stays tight up against the lower tang -- but when the hammer is cocked, the lever will drop down about an inch or so and you have to hold it against the tang with your trigger hand.

I am assuming that this is not normal. How easy (or expensive) is this for a gunsmith to fix?

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're pretty simple to work on. The weak point on the Stevens single shots were the screws that the hammer, block, etc. pivot on. Sometimes it's as simple as swapping the screws around.
    Problem you describe sounds like it's the link pins, they wear faster than the link. New ones are easy to make from drill rod.

ipb-stevens-44-1.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making parts is usually never cheap. I'd want solid bid for the job or you could end up with more in repairs than the rifle is worth. Does it have a good bore? Reasonable wood i.e. shooting condition.

Bubba would tighten it up with a ball peen hammer - maybe he already has.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It should be a 25-20SS. Not the same as a 25-20 WCF If you reload bras is available.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the diagram Trap!

The bore on the gun still has good rifling, and it looks to be shootable - condition is nice for a gun that is 100+ years old, and looks to be all original.

I already reload 25-20 Single Shot for a Winchester low-wall that I have, so brass and bullets are not a problem.

I may have to take a little drive and see if I can make a deal on it!