In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old scope

W92fanW92fan Member Posts: 92
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have just been given and old Revelation 225 in 30-30(Savage 340),it has Revelation 6X scope on it.Who made the scope and how can I find an adjustment screw cover for it??THANKS!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody out there in expert-land got a way to estimate the power of an old scope that has no markings ( 1930's vintage with 3/4" OD tube and 15' long ).
    Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya i came across a WWII Mossberg scope that has a NO. 4 on it. I didn't buy it because i wasn't sure exactly what the history of it was or for that matter what country made it. The NO. 4 grabbed my attention because i am a beginning Enfield collector. I do not know if this is British or what. Any help in the identification and information on this scope, along with value in 90% condition would be appreciated
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't give us much to work with. (Photo?)

But, this Weaver scope with a 3/4" straight tube was designed in the 30's, & is 2.2X:

M8_scope_4.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    wow that is a tough one ! any makers name or model #
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be only an estimate but I would pick something at say 50 yards. Use a standard 3x9 and compare the image obtained at each power to your mystery scope.

I think you could work it out mathematically but measurement are critical.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aim a range finder thru the scope, then aim at same object not thru the scope and divide the scope range finder into the non scope range and you have it.

If it's actually 15 feet long as you state might take awhile with the ciphering.

Also I had one of the old 3/4inch tube scopes that just laid around in cabinet for several years, seen some vintage sniper scopes on ebay and looked carefully at the marking on mine and wow, sure enough, sold it on ebay for like $300. The bidders fought over the scope up until the final closing. The guy that bought the scope was a redneck from Alabama sent me a email and said he needed to sell some hogs and chickens and * hides and go to the bank and would be about 5 days before he could pay. 5 days later he mailed me a USPS Money Order.

I think maybe my old scope was a old Alaskan Lyman with a dot reticle, but not sure.

I think maybe Leupold about 10 years ago cloned and sold some of the old Alaskan Lyman scopes for collectors.

Take a close look at yours, might be a sleeper.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several of the vintage Mossberg scopes and they are about 15" long--Weavers are a good bit shorter. If it's a Mossberg, the markings are quite faint and they are probably on the down range end of the scope and will be something like M4c. Most of the old Mossberg scopes are 4X
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if it were something nice like a Small Game Unertl, it would be 4 to 6 power.