In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.257 magnum revolver cart.

deer140deer140 Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
I came a cross this round on stevespages only have deawning.Dose anyone know anything about it.Looks like a blown out 22 hornet casing to a 25. Would like a little info amd help.
Thanks

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of a 257 Mag, are you sure you don't mean the 256 Win Mag?
    The 256 WinMag is basically a necked down 357 Mag case necked down to 25cal.
    Introduced in 1960, and currently considered obsolete, it launched a 60gr bullet at 2200fps

Edit: Ah, a wildcat round. At least I didn't dig up one of the old Stevens 25cals [:I]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deer140,

Your description is fine but a picture solves many a memory problem...

257magnumrevolver.jpg

Image courtesy of Steve's Pages.

Best.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall one (1.0) gunzine article about the .257 Magnum revolver. It had a lot of woo-hoo and not much actual data like loads and chronograph readings.
    The case is indeed a .22 Hornet blown out straight and maybe shortened to fit the cylinder.
    You are pretty much on your own.
  • deer140deer140 Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thougth I migth be on my own but tkougth I would give it a try.
    Thanks any ways.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neat, I haven't heard of it.It couldn't have been publicized much. The Snappers and Harvey K Chuck revolver conversions on the Hornet case worked. Before the .256 Mag there wasn't much in the way of bullet selection and still isn't.
    I suspect this 25 doesn't have the setback issues of the .256.
    The Hornet case is 1.4" as is the 25 Hornet.
    This case is shortened as Snappers and K-Chucks were to fit in K-frame cylinders.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    You might give the folks at Redding a call it looks like they may have what you desire listed in their Custom 3-dies sets as the 25 Hornet, part #15253.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the 270 Hornet! If you cast, it's way better.
  • Magnum Wheel ManMagnum Wheel Man Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Building one similar an 8 shot on a stainless Ruger single 10 right now... will have to shorten the cases so the cartridge will fit in the cylinder space... ( a 257 special of sorts )

curious if you guys did any more with this ???
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loads here:

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=1756

Looks like this can spit a 60 grain .25 bullet at 1400-1500 fps, meaning you can fire a bullet almost exactly half the weight of a typical .357 magnum at the same velocity.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Loads here:

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=1756

Looks like this can spit a 60 grain .25 bullet at 1400-1500 fps, meaning you can fire a bullet almost exactly half the weight of a typical .357 magnum at the same velocity.

Most likely, as physics would have it, with half the recoil too. Seems like that was something of a promise with the 327 Federal Magnum too.

Best
  • TaiChiTaiChi Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also look at the 270 Ren load data. The case is a blown out Hornet with no taper. T/C made barrels for it.
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Magnum Wheel Man. Are you building this yourself, or are you having it built for you? Sounds like an interesting project. Wonder if a 25 stevens rim fire could be converted to this round. Best to you on the project.