In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to ship primers

e-mishkae-mishka Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
What is the legal way to ship small quantity of primers?
Im not running a business and don't have haz mat training.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small quantity would likely be a hassle and spendy to ship. They have to be shipped through a Fedex or Ups central facility that has an employee trained in Hasmat rules and regulations. Has to in a box with the correct "ORM D" label. Believe Hasmat fees are up to $25 now, also.

If you still want/have to ship them? Contact UPS or FedEx ahead of time and speak to one of their Hasmat trained people. To make sure all your ducks are in a row before you go down their with the primers.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fedex has a Dangerous Goods section; phone them if you plan to use Fedex, as no one else stays current on their rules.

The only way a civilian can ship ammo by Fedex is by calling for a scheduled pickup. Don't know about primers.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was at the ups hub last night, they said i can't ship primers without hazmat contract with ups. I called ups hazmat department to find out that it requires training to get that hazmat contract with them.
    Ammo can be easily shipped with ord-m sticker on it. Do I have to find ups hub with trained employee?
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has to go Ground with an additional HAZMAT charge which may make it too expensive unless you are shipping a bunch. That's why gun stores try to combine their shipments into one big one and then pro-rate the charges.

You can go on line and fill out an application for a HAZMAT certificate. They will ask some questions, explain the HAZMAT rules, etc. You check the "I Agree" box, print it out, sign it and take it with you when sending the package.

Be warned, not all UPS and FedEx hubs are going to treat you the same. Some will say, "You can't do that." Some will say, "You can do that but you have to take a $200 class to get certified." Some will say, "Come on down!" It all depends on the hub, the knowledge of the staff and, most important, their political leaning.

When you're all done, you will probably give up. Which is exactly what most of them want from the beginning. HAZMAT and other "gun" stuff scares them and they would rather not deal with it.

Good Luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    Has to go Ground with an additional HAZMAT charge which may make it too expensive unless you are shipping a bunch. That's why gun stores try to combine their shipments into one big one and then pro-rate the charges.

You can go on line and fill out an application for a HAZMAT certificate. They will ask some questions, explain the HAZMAT rules, etc. You check the "I Agree" box, print it out, sign it and take it with you when sending the package.

Be warned, not all UPS and FedEx hubs are going to treat you the same. Some will say, "You can't do that." Some will say, "You can do that but you have to take a $200 class to get certified." Some will say, "Come on down!" It all depends on the hub, the knowledge of the staff and, most important, their political leaning.

Good Luck

Cheechako,
    can you point me to where i can find that application for hazmat certificate?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If your hub has a HAZMAT certified person, you can ask him/her for the link. They can usually bring it up right there in their office and help you fill it out.

Do you have enough primers to justify about $50 in charges? Regular shipping plus the HAZMAT fee.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I tried to do the online course a few months ago, the DOT site said that it had been discontinued.

Neal
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Define "small quantity."
    Anything less than multiple cases would just be too much hassle.

Do you have any local loaders to sell to or swap with?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Define "small quantity."
    Anything less than multiple cases would just be too much hassle.

Do you have any local loaders to sell to or swap with?

Im trying to sell locally, but wanted to ship as well befor I found out how much hastle it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I only did it once. It was in the UPS office. I seem to remember that it was on the UPS HAZMAT site, but I could be wrong. The man did it for me. I also have a UPS account and maybe that made a difference?

FedEx has different rules than UPS. They now require a home pickup (for ammo too) which has an added charge, plus you have to have an account to generate the label. I think the next step for FedEx is to refuse all shipments having to do with guns and gun stuff.