In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Mohawk -.308

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a 1977 production Remington Mohawk-308.

The gun looks 99% and might be unfired. Remington butt plate. Has front sight (no rear sight) and Bushnell scopechief (?) (made in japan scope). No box.

What do You know about these rifles? What is a decent price to pay for rifle described?

Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_600

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=remington+600+mohawk

If you get one be sure to investigate the trigger/safety issue.

I have a P.O. Ackley one in 45-350 Rem mag. It is my second favorite rifle. It weighs like 5.25 pounds loaded and with the sling. Recoil can be harsh, but it carries well. It also patterns well with shot loads (9 grouse 7 shots, 2 pair of carefully lined up doubles on the ground the rest on the wing).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what issues? how do I know if it has any issues?
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These things seem to be a collector item. For some reason the 600 with the plastic rib seems to be more valuble than the Mohawk, which I don't understand. On a hot day the platsic rib looks like a bad road. The one I have is 308 caliber also. I would guess you could get at least $500 if you want to sell it. I like the way they handle also.
  • Options
    wilmamaewilmamae Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some rifles could fire when the saftey was pushed off. There was a recall and Rem replaced the trigger for free. The new trigger has a small 'A' stamped on its root , up close to the trigger guard. Rifles made after the recall will have a letter before the ser. number. ex. a12345.I would contact Remington with any questions. E
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You.

Also. The rifle has a scope ( Bushnell Scopechief , made in Japan), but no rear sight. (Has a fron sight)

What would be CORRECT or Semi correct factory rear sight for that gun. And how would You go about getting one.

Thank You.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Gun Parts INC or maybe BROWNELL'S
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Remington 660 in 6mm - basically a 600 without the rib and slightly different stock. It came without sights and I found that "factory correct" complete rear and front sights were hard (and expensive)to find. Numrich had some of the parts, but not all. Sights for other Remingtons such as the 700 and 522 (rimfire) series have proper screw spacing and fit fine. I suppose a Remington afficianado would know the difference, otherwise it looks fine.

As is common the plastic floorplate was warped, I replaced it with an aftermarket aluminium version and I would say it looks better than an original. The trigger is easily adjustable and has worked properly. I've mounted Weaver "pivot base" rings and an old Weaver 4x with post scope.

I paid $495.00 for mine about a year ago. I don't know if it was unfired, I suspect it had been fired a few times. But it was otherwise like new. It may be that the not so popular 6mm Remington chambering kept the price a bit low.

Edit: Here's a schematic of the 600 - note the rear sight has a few different parts to it.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/600-39550.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What rear sight should I be looking for ?