In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 gauge sabot bullet diameter

harkbrokeharkbroke Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited February 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm having a devil of a time finding the slug diameter or caliber of slugs that are used in sabotted 20 guauge shotgun shells for rifled barrels.
For example for my .50 cal black powder muzzle loader the plastic sabot carries a .44 Cal bullet.
So, I'm just curious to know what the Caliber or bullet diameter is that is riding in the plastic sabot in most 20 gauge shotgun shells like the Remington Accupoint for example.

I'm also having no luck trying to find ballistic tables for the 20 gauge sabotted shotgun shell. Just for grins I'm interested in learning how this round compares ballistically to comperable center fire rifle ammunition. I'm reading in places where guys are getting 1-1/2" to quarter size groups at 100 yds off the bench with some of these rounds.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My TC 50 Cal sabot gun will run with either 44 or 45 cal. bullets, depends on the sabot.

I run the Lyman 12 gauge sabot. Shoots very well in both of my smooth bores. I have seen pic's of groups from rifled shotguns that are impressive.

Lyman makes a 20 gauge sabot mold. Mine came with some loading data but I think they also provide a section the data/exterior ballistics in their shotgun loading book (I look for mine later to check).

You could call and ask about the size diameter.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-shotgun.php?entryID=84

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/contact/

added my Lyman 4th edition doesn't have the sabot 20 or any exterior ballistic data in a quick check.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 12ga Hornady slugs use the 500 S&W bullets. I cut one a part and checked it out.

I was playing with the idea of reloading those expensive devils, but all the wads and spacers, ect & the fact that I know jack poop about reloading slugs turned me from the project.

I would guess the 20ga sabot slugs are .44 or .45 pistol bullets.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about current production but some older 20 ga Federals used the same (or visibly similar)Barnes 45 cal."expander" hollow point as I was shooting from my 50 cal ML with appropriate sabot.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20ga should be closer to the sabots used in a 54 cal muzzleloader. A 45 round ball will fit snug in a 410, a 50 cal RB in a 28ga, and a 54 RB in a 20ga, just a guess but I would say 58 cal in 16ga, and a 68 cal for a 12ga. I have been playing around with the 50cal in 28ga hulls just for the fun of it, as slugs for a 28ga are next to impossible to find. have used round balls, maxi balls, buffalo balls next was going to try the sabotted bullets to see which gets best accuracy.